Trusted Contributor

Re: toddler falls from cruise ship

@sashamatthews I agree with you 100%. Please don't anyone say we're not being compassionate. This accident is beyond tragic. But I'm so tired of people not taking responsibility for their own actions. Only "you" are responsible for what "you" do. And I'm not just talking about this tragic accident. I'm talking about everything in life.
Esteemed Contributor

Very tragic!! That being said it was absolutely stupid of the grandfather to sit the child on the open ledge!!  That family will never be the same.

When my son was little I watched him like a hawk to keep him safe. Why on earth would you sit a child on a window ledge? The fact that the grandfather just assumed it was safe without making sure the window was closed IMO makes him totally responsible for the childs death.

Honored Contributor

Well, you should never sit a child on a ledge of a window.  It seems like common sense, but apparently it isn't. 

I knew the cruise line would be sued over this...

Respected Contributor

Such a sad tragedy. That poor grandfather is probably hardly able to keep living. I heard the whole family had to be sedated, no wonder.   Sad that he didnt notice the window was open. 

Honored Contributor

When I first heard this story, I instantly thought "What an IDIOT that man was for placing a child, ESPECIALLY a wiggly infant, on a ledge!" Then I head about the window and my first thought was "didn't he check the window to make sure it was closed/tight?" because I DO THAT WITH ANY WINDOW OR DOOR.

Don't ask me why, but I always have. Did that with pets before I had kids.

DH and I were discussing this last night and we both said "You know, Grandad (husbands father) would do something stupid like that". And he would have...which is why he NEVER has been handed ANY grandchild to hold unless he was sitting in a chair and not moving. FIL is fantastic with the grandkids as long as they're not babies/toddlers, so we wouldn't trust him in that matter. Wouldn't trust a LOT of people to hold a baby- toddler for that specific reason.

As soon as I heard the words 'their lawyer" I knew they were going to sue. They'll win. Why? Because anyone who says one bad word against a family losing their child (even if some aspect of the situation is their fault) is going to be hated. Therefore, they will settle in order to keep good PR. 

Like I always say: The child always pays for the choices made by an adult. Horrible, horrible tragedy. May they find peace.

Esteemed Contributor

In the first place, an 18 month old toddler does not belong on a cruise ship. Common sense isn't very common anymore.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

I heard the story this morning on GMA.  It was originally reported that the toddler slipped out of her grandfather's arms and went overboard.  The family denied that story.  However, it was reported that the grandfather said he held the toddler up to the "window" and thought there was glass there, let go of her for a second and she fell.  

The attorney is talking about how there shouldn't be an opening bigger than 4", blah, blah, blah.  This wasn't a ground level window or opening that this toddler could have crawled to herself and fell.  This was an opening high up that the grandfather held the toddler up to.  Apparently they are going to review video footage of the incident.  It was also reported, not on GMA, that there was the possibility of negligence charges being brought against the grandfather so of course the family is trying to do what they can so that doesn't happen.

I cannot imagine how the grandfather could ever live with himself if he was in fact holding that child up and let her go and she fell.  I also honestly do not understand how anyone thinks there is glass in a window when there isn't.  I've been on cruises.   That glass isn't the cleanest glass because it gets a lot of abuse from salt water, etc.  Not to mention people touching it, etc.  I just don't see how anyone could think there was glass in that opening when there wasn't.  

Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

In the first place, an 18 month old toddler does not belong on a cruise ship. Common sense isn't very common anymore.

Why wouldn't they belong on a cruise ship?  Families travel with children all over the world...

Honored Contributor

@sashamatthews wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks it was the grandfather's fault, yet the family is suing the cruise line?

@sashamatthews, as I heard this morning, I definitely don't think it's the cruise lines fault.  However, unless the family filed suit within the last couple of hours, video footage is supposed to be reviewed.  The attorney for the family is trying to get ahold of the video.  

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

Why wouldn't they belong on a cruise ship?  Families travel with children all over the world...

@Bri369, I personally wouldn't take an 18 month old on a cruise ship.  I'm not sure what they would get out of it because there isn't much for them to do.  I also can't imagine it would be the greatest for the parents either because in the evening, they'd pretty much be confined to their cabin.  Play areas close fairly early on ships and night time activities are adult themed.

Maybe a Disney cruise?