Honored Contributor

Re: toddler falls from cruise ship

None of their lives will ever be the same but people lose children through death, accidents, illness, murder and they find the strength to move on and make life.  This family will too.  We're never know what really happened, I suspect that it's closer to the original story.  The grandfather was holding or playing with the child at the window and dropped her.  An 18 month old baby is heavy and wiggly, especially when she is laughing and playing with grandpa.  However, now all we hear is  "open window"  from  the lawyers that have latched on.  It's a huge personal tragedy for that family and perhaps a legal one for the grandfather.  Attorneys for the cruise ship are certainly going to push back on that "open window" excuse.  

Respected Contributor

A horrible tragedy.  No, I don't know how one ever gets over such a sudden and horrible accident like this.

My concern is this grandfather.  How does he not know a window is open?  Lawyer is saying the baby liked to bang on glass - something about watching someone play hockey and how she liked to bang on the glass.  So he lets her bang on the glass, but there was none and out she went.

On a boat you'd think you'd feel the wind or sea air if you were by an open window while all the others were shut.  Looks like they are trying to find something else to blame other than this grandfather.  He must be visually impaired or perhaps he's in a state of decline/senility that has not been acknowledged. 

Reminds me of when Michael Jackson held his little baby over the balcony way back when.  Goofy behavior.  I realize the family does not want the grandfather to carry such guilt, but it really was stupid on his part to do that in unfamiliar surroundings.  Terrible accident.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

I have heard several different accounts of how it happened. I don't think they really  have a definitive account yet.

I felt sick when I read it. I hope it doesn't tear the family apart. I think it was an accident. Some people just  are not as careful as others are, unfortunately. The poor little tyke, it is heartbreaking

Valued Contributor

Just read that family may sue cruise line.

Valued Contributor

Of course they may file a lawsuit.

Not to be unsympathetic but how can they not take responsibility for what the grandfather did.  Regardless of whether this is a children's play area - he placed her on the railing.  She did not climb up herself and sit there.  It's not at child's level.

I feel sorry for this family - horrible tragedy but come on......

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have never been on a cruise ship.....I was thinking there would be video cameras recording of this incident?  The story seems to be changing alot from what I heard in the beginning.  

Also people party heavy drinking on these ships....grandpa could have been tired and hung over and used poor judgement to place any child on a railing.  And there is noway I can believe you don't "feel" the air sun breeze from a open window.  

It's just a horrible tragic accident...and this beautiful little girl is now gone.  Heartbreaking for all.

Trusted Contributor

Am I the only one who thinks it was the grandfather's fault, yet the family is suing the cruise line?

Honored Contributor

I am not going to lay blame on anyone. It was a horrible accident and the family is going to have to find a way to live with this. Perhaps the cruise line wasn't careful either , but ,I am sure no one wanted this to happen

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sad, yes. Tragic, definitely. However, sorry to say but I have to blame both the ship and the grandfather.

Windows should definitely not be open in a child's play area. On the other hand why would the grandfather be sitting the child on the ledge of an open window. No one can tell me he couldn't tell there was no pane of glass inserted.

Those windows were tinted greenish blue - one not in place and he could not tell the glass was not there? He sat the child on the ledge.

Reminds me of seeing Michael Jackson years ago dangling his kid out of a window. Luckily this baby did not end like this child.

Pls do not bad mouth me for my point of view.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree that it could be argued there is negligence by both parties.

Should the cruise line have made sure all windows were closed securely near a child's play area?  But I have read that passengers can open these windows, so are ship personnel supposed to monitor all windows all of time if it was opened by a passenger?

Should the grandfather have verified that there was indeed glass behind the rail before placing the child there?

Obviously, this is a tragedy no one could have planned for.  But simple actions by both parties may have prevented it, but all accidents can't be prevented.

Incidentally, I read a report that there was no alcohol involved on the grandfather's part, which one poster had speculated about.