Honored Contributor

Re: toddler falls from cruise ship

Since the ship was docked in Puerto Rico, the grandfather will be charged under that law, I believe. 

However, to sue the cruise line-cruise lines are registered in other countries to avoid US taxes and also because laws are lax in other countries.

Cruise lines may have corporate offices in the US but be aware-they are registered in the Bahamas, Central America. Liberia and others. 

This will make it difficult for this family to collect anything from Royal Caribbean-the laws are lax, the travel to wherever RC is registered and the liability laws are nowhere near the strict laws in the USA.

They will never receive millions, they MAY get a pittance settlement from RC but without any admission by RC for liability.  It would be an empy gesture.

I feel the grandfather was fully liable but I also feel so sorry for him-he loved the wee one and I cannot even begin to imagine his anguish over this death.  The parents will blame RC and side with him, which is natural, but in the end the grandfather is not going to walk away from this.

Sad for the family.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh