Honored Contributor

@El_Lay wrote:

I think $5-10 per person sounds about right.  It would depend  on such factors as did they have to walk up a long inclined driveway to get to your house, and did they have to take stairs to get to the bedroom? I want to take this opportunity to ask a variation of this tip question: how much should one tip movers? Should it based on a percentage of the final bill? Thank you in advance.

@El_Lay 

a few years ago my mom decided to give up her "weekend condo" that was two bedroom, two bath and about 1600 square feet. she moved most of her stuff into a storage area although i begged her not to.......we gave each guy $50 and bought them lunch (pizzas and subs.)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@catlover My whole family are good tippers. My DH always was very generous.

I personally would give them each $10 and never bat an eye.

Honored Contributor

This may be a regional thing but in my area, its not customary to tip furniture delivery people.  They are well paid by their employers and don't depend on tips for income, unlike service workers.  Since they're performing their normal duties, why should they be tipped?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids  My father NEVER tipped for deliveries which was a huge embarrassment to my mother.  His mindset was "they are doing their job."  She would have one of my brothers tip the delivery guys discreetly as they were getting back into the truck. Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

This may be a regional thing but in my area, its not customary to tip furniture delivery people.  They are well paid by their employers and don't depend on tips for income, unlike service workers.  Since they're performing their normal duties, why should they be tipped?

@Kachina624 

I don't know where you are, but I live in California, and I would've tipped exactly zero.

They are doing their job.

Tipping is getting way out of hand.

What's next?

Tipping your doctor?

Your accountant?

Your dentist?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

For those who say delivery people are "well paid", how do you know? I don't know how much they make and I don't care.

I enjoy giving someone a tip for doing something I need done that I can't do for myself. When I first met DH, after our first date, he asked me what my "criteria" was for dating. I said "Good manners, sense of humor, good safe driver and someone who treatss service people with kindness and tips well." Lucy for both of us, he hit all the marks!

I am orignally from California (my first 62 years) and everyone I knew tipped for services lilke this.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

For those who say delivery people are "well paid", how do you know? I don't know how much they make and I don't care.

I enjoy giving someone a tip for doing something I need done that I can't do for myself. When I first met DH, after our first date, he asked me what my "criteria" was for dating. I said "Good manners, sense of humor, good safe driver and someone who treatss service people with kindness and tips well." Lucy for both of us, he hit all the marks!

I am orignally from California (my first 62 years) and everyone I knew tipped for services lilke this.

@Love my grandkids.  Because I worked over 30 years for the state employment service and was qualified to testify as an expert witness on wage issues.  In my early years as an interviewer, I placed truck drivers in jobs and took job orders for them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

i dont understand why people say "tipping is getting out of hand?"

if i want to give a tip, i give a tip.

if you want to give a tip, give a tip.

if you dont want to give a tip, dont give a tip.

no one is ever forced to give a tip so no one should ever feel pressured either way. there are times when i feel a tip is appropriate. this case is one of them.

we dont know what these people are making. i am sure they receive some tips throughout the day and other times not.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I over tip and sometimes I wonder why. My husband was the same way.  Just yesterday I went to have one tire change and I gave the guy 10 and he looked at me and ask, is this a tip and he kept thanking me.  I tip everyone who does something for me.

Honored Contributor

If I paid a delivery fee, nothing. If I had an unreasonably hard location for them to get it to, I might tip a $20 bill to the team.