Honored Contributor

those Life Alert type systems?

Anyone have experience with any of these?  I haven't started doing any research yet- just looking for any recommendations for any of these type systems that your family might have tried. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Re: those Life Alert type systems?

Just be sure to find out what to do if the person goes to a hospital.  Late Mom had one of those pendants with the alert button she could use if she fell or just thought she needed help.  We did not know until after the fact that we were supposed to notify the company while she was hospitalized & they would suspend the fee until she was home again.  As it turned out, she never went home & we had to pay for those 2 months.  Sorry I can't remember the name of the company now.  Good luck to you!

Honored Contributor

I don't have any specific current products to recommend or avoid, but I do know a bit.  One is that the person wearing one needs to be alert enough to know to cll for help.  When I investigated one for the aunt whose care I supervised for 4 years at home, her doctor refused to sign for one  -   "You won't use it when you should and you will use it when you shouldn't"  I've never forgotten those words.

Also, my sister who had one fell in her bathroom in the middle of the night and lay on that floor for a few hours because she didn't want to disturb the neighbor who was number one on her call list.    That pretty much follows what that doctor had said about my aunt, too, although I do remember my sister felt good about having the system in the house --and I did, too, until she really needed it.

In addition to getting good local information about products and suppliers, please assess the potential user, too.   In both of the cases I encountered, I would not have anticipated the situations I wrote about.

Trusted Contributor

My father used one by a company called Rescue Alert.  He wore the pendant all the time, including in the shower.  I tested it and worked outside his entire 1/2 acre lot.

He fell down outside on the patio, and broke his hip. He pushed the pendant and they contacted me immediately. They could have sent an ambulance, but I chose to drive over and be there when the ambulance came.  It saved his life, as I  was just over at his house 2 hours before the accident. I never would have known and he would have laid there overnight.

I think there are different types now, that can sensor a fall. Also many work when the person is off their property.

It may not work in all scenerios. But I think it is better to have one for a senior... just in case.

Honored Contributor

I had one for my mother about 5 years.  It was peace of mind to know she had it living alone.  I thought it was a reasonable monthly charge too. And, of course, I hoped she would use it as necessary.

Fortunately,  she never had to use it.  She eventually had to be moved to assisted living.   The one she had, I think, was Lifeline by Phillips....excellent service.  They would call her once a month and test system.  And, when she moved, all I had to do was box up the system and send it back.  (Keep all boxes.) 

I was very pleased with service and communications both with myself and mother.

I think it is important for people living alone, especially elderly.

Frequent Contributor

This may be an unusual situation but a friends mother had the necklace type on and was sitting in her recliner chair and it went WAY WAY back.... She needed help but somehow the pendant went behind her and she couldn't reach it... Fortunately her aid came by about an hour or so later. They switched to bracelet type. 

Another senior friend fell and pushed her button and no response. Her son found her on the floor 3 days later!!!

Mom had one and worked fine when we would test it.... Luckily we never needed it for real.

Honored Contributor

A dear family friend in her mid 80's, had one of the necklace alerts.  Her children insisted she have this level of safety in order to continue living in her home.  She was very receptive to the idea;  said she understood how the system worked, always wore the necklace during the day, and had it by her bedside at night.  She fell one day and was in the floor an estimated 5 hours before she was found.  She was wearing the necklace, but did not push the button, because she "forgot" about it!!!   She broke an arm and a hip, and never went back home.   

Esteemed Contributor

I have one by ADT.  I ALso have the security alert system.  I used my necklace once when I tripped and fell on the cement outside my kitchen.  Fortunately, I landed on my hands and face, blood all over, but never broke anything.  They contacted my son, who came .  I never went to hospital, I,m a tough old Bird.  Never broke anything.  It WASN,t all luck.  I have been working out for 56 years, still do. The DR. says I,m very strong because of it.

Trusted Contributor

I'm nearly 80, live alone, and my sons have been after me to get one of these.  I'm in good health and have been resisting, although I know that they are a good idea. I live in a senior community and have several neighbors who have these devices but have still died or have had serious unattended injuries.    My next door neighbor had a severe stroke in bed, was completely paralized, and was not found until 3 days later.  By this time, she was deceased.  Another neighbor fell in the Community Center, and her device didn't activate because she was out of range of her central call unit.  Another fell on the ice in the parking lor of a shopping center - again out of range so her device did not activate.  Fortunately, she was found by someone but quite a bit of time had passed and since it was winter, she got frostbite (and a broken hip).  Because of these experiences, I'm not all that excited about these devices.

Honored Contributor

I have cared for many patients who were brought to the hospital either because they pushed the button on one of these units or because the unit sensed that they fell, and called them, when you don't respond they call 911 for you. If I had a loved one living alone I would not hesitate to get one of these for them. As for those who need assistance but won't push the button. I don't think there is much you can do about stubborn old people.