Respected Contributor

Re: there is a security issue with ring security camera

That was my thought when I saw the video on the news segment. Why would you put a camera in an 8 year old girl's bedroom?  Creepy . I can see at entrances/windows to the home, but in a bedroom? They didn't follow directions with the security set up.  Laziness on their part.  Easily hacked. This is all on the parents.

Respected Contributor

That's been a problem with baby monitors and other cameras for many years now. It's almost always traced back to someone having hacked the family's wi-fi and router, not because of an issue with the devices used.

Cyber security, passwords, and two-factor authentications are things we can't afford to take for granted anymore. 

Honored Contributor

As far as I am concerned, it is on the creep who terrorized a child. A decent person would never do this..If it happened by accident they would alert the family or the company

Honored Contributor

The point isn't that the childrens' parents put a camera in the bedroom.  That's not anyone's business.

And where does it say that they installed something incorrectly?  The article gives tips on how to prevent this from happening but it doesn't say this couple did anything wrong.

Honored Contributor

I think they were hacked ,from what I read elsewhere. The article I posted ,didn't mention the the child was called racial slurs ,and really frightened half to death by this cretin

Honored Contributor

snip

Hackers have created dedicated software for breaking into Ring security cameras, according to posts on hacking forums reviewed by Motherboard. The camera company is owned by Amazon, which has hundreds of partnerships with police departments around the country.

Honored Contributor

That reminds me of a time early on in internet days when I went into my home office for something and some random guy's face was on my computer screen.  I didn't have a camera back then, but did.

I think it was the old AOL IM system.

I have no idea who he was, but that was so strange.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I saw that a few days ago,just creepy, that sent chills down my spine.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

People have hacked into those Amazon Echos and Dots, etc.  

Occasional Contributor