Esteemed Contributor

Re: the type of sandwich you eat can add to pollution and global warming

wrote:

wrote:

@cherry

I saw this today on tv and wonder what is next on this list done by whom? Pollution/global warming/cow flatulence, and maybe human carbon dioxide emissions when exhaling will make the list.

I think the primary concern about polluting the atmosphere out to directed towards 2 of the polluting nations on the planet like china and india. We here are a small part of the globe and many are trying to do reasonable things to limit their contributions to pollution. Now the celebs making the most noise, while at the same time flying in their private jets all over the world to spread the message? Really, an egg/bacon(or sausage) McMuffin?

hckynut(john)

The USA has 5% of the world's population, but uses a quarter of its energy. We rank last out of 17 countries surveyed in regards to sustainable behavior.

I'd say we should clean up our own back yard before we start pointing fingers at other countries . Our bad stewardship of this planet is not the fault of India and China. If we hope to remain the most powerful country, we should lead by example. So far we are failing in this regard.

Lead by example is a nobal cause, however to what end.  The US has lost manufacturing jobs to India and China because of regulations.  There has to a balance if anything is to succeed.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Pollution isn't cyclical, for the most part it's man made. Pollution causes many illnesses . If it is within our control to stop it ,I think we should

Obviously there are things like volcano eruptions ,beyond our control, but the day to day  pollution ,caused by humans ,should be something we address, and stop to our best ability

Respected Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

@cherry

I saw this today on tv and wonder what is next on this list done by whom? Pollution/global warming/cow flatulence, and maybe human carbon dioxide emissions when exhaling will make the list.

I think the primary concern about polluting the atmosphere out to directed towards 2 of the polluting nations on the planet like china and india. We here are a small part of the globe and many are trying to do reasonable things to limit their contributions to pollution. Now the celebs making the most noise, while at the same time flying in their private jets all over the world to spread the message? Really, an egg/bacon(or sausage) McMuffin?

hckynut(john)

The USA has 5% of the world's population, but uses a quarter of its energy. We rank last out of 17 countries surveyed in regards to sustainable behavior.

I'd say we should clean up our own back yard before we start pointing fingers at other countries . Our bad stewardship of this planet is not the fault of India and China. If we hope to remain the most powerful country, we should lead by example. So far we are failing in this regard.

Lead by example is a nobal cause, however to what end.  The US has lost manufacturing jobs to India and China because of regulations.  There has to a balance if anything is to succeed.

I suspect the real reason jobs go to India and China is because of cheap labor. The excuse of too many regulations (worker safety and environmental?) is just that. An excuse. I dont think we, as a country, want to go back to the days of unsafe factories, rampant water pollution, un-regulated work hours, child labor and the like.

Honored Contributor

My son said when he arrived in India the first thing he noticed was the poor air quality. They burn everything  and the air smelled like it

When he was in China there were people actually rioting because the  rivers ,and their water supply ,was so damaged by pollution

I think they should be used as example of how  people who turn their back on  cleaning up the environment ,ultimately fare. We shouldn't think ,because we aren't as bad as someone else, it means we are doing good...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

@cherry

hckynut(john)

I suspect the real reason jobs go to India and China is because of cheap labor. The excuse of too many regulations (worker safety and environmental?) is just that. An excuse. I dont think we, as a country, want to go back to the days of unsafe factories, rampant water pollution, un-regulated work hours, child labor and the like.

Not sure why anyone would say we want  to take it back to the worse moments in time. There can be conversations and  there can be a balance, reasonable people can compromise and find a solution. The pollution and conditions in China and India is much worse than anything experienced in the US.  Yet they know better now, so they have no excuse. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

India is quite poor, so I'm not sure how much attention they will give to pollution...and they cremate people, out in the open ,so I'm not sure that will stop either.

China  might be a bigger culprit . I don't know this for sure, but  I think they are better off financially than India, but from things I have read, they have such a terrible political system, it might not even be on their radar screen

I still think we can and should do better.  I have seen what dirty water and bad politics can do to people. Flint has children that might never have  a normal life ,because of their drinking water. There was no excuse for this, beyond someone thinking they would save a few bucks, and didn't take peoples health into consideration.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@hckynut

We can't force those 2 nations to clean up their act. But, I don't think that excuses us ,from trying to make our own corner of the world cleaner.  My son has been to both places and said they were filthy.

When a tiny drop of something is used every day, maybe several times a day, by millions and millions of people, it adds up quickly

Just like the straws @Moonchilde mentioned.  If they could find a biodegradable straw, that people like, just think of the amount of plastic that wouldn't be in landfills ,from just doing that

@cherry

I understand the issues, and like money, every penny over time adds up. Everyone can do a little, that however does not excuse the loudest voices from doing their big shares.

How many straws equal 1 single way trip via their private jet, to tell everyone else what they should do, while obviously excusing themselves?  Saving a penny a day doesn't add up the same for me if my rich uncle Bob steals a nickel of of it every week.

Hot shot celebs love telling common folk like myself how to cut back for the sake of our planet, yet think it is ok for them to add more pollution in a single 1 way flight, no commercial flight of course, someone of their stature mixed with us common folk, than I will add the rest of my life?  Please!

We can't force them? No, but there are many things we can do to might just give them cause to move that direction. 

I will leave this post at this by saying that the word "science" itself never has a FINAL answer, including what surrounds our atmosphere. You've lived long enough to know that things that science said "could never be done", are now common place things in our world.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Frankly, I couldn't care less what any celebrity thinks, or what they do ,or don't do

I don't run my life like that.  I do care about the environment, and what pollution can, and does do to  innocent people.

I won't stop thinking we should work on cleaning up the earth, because people I don't like,  are on their soapboxes about it.

Common sense has showed me how quickly people can, and have suffered, because people with decision making abilities ,chose money over human life.  Some of the people impacted will never have a decent quality of life ,because of their greed and stupidity. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

ITA @cherry, with everything you have said on this thread regarding our responsibility in taking care of the planet we are the stewards of..

Honored Contributor

I live in a rural area and we raise mainly pigs, cattle, chickens and just about anything you can think of vegetable wise. The smells coming from the excrement from the animals spread on the surrounding farmlands can burn your nose out. They spread this stuff sometimes 3 times a year, they even are allowed to spread it on the state game lands. The farmers who grow soybeans and corn take the tea because it's free and of course they are not organic farmers. I grow micro greens, arugula and other veggies and we are organic. We give away what we don't sell and compost everything. I don't get why people are not concerned about quality of life and the future. I believe pollution of any kind is a big deal.