Honored Contributor

Re: the type of sandwich you eat can add to pollution and global warming

I will be interesting to see if there are any changes in packaging. With many things, one discovery leads to an entirely different way of  thinking ,and could produce other inventions

I think it's an exciting time to be alive. They are finding new things about our world everyday. Some might make our lives a great deal easier, and our lives healthier, and longer

When I think of the things that have happened during my own lifetime, its amazing. And it is all because someone had an idea ,or a thought ,and ran with it

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I'm not going to give up meat, but if I were going to buy a  prepared sandwich ,I would chose the one that was the most eco friendly....

I wasn’t going to comment in this thread, but since it looks like it’s headed for buh-byee anyway -

People are gonna do, or not do, what they’re gonna do or not do. Regardless of latest studies, new articles, new fake-news twists on common sense, etc. most types of ecological discussions need to be legislated or it doesn’t work. Make it a law that such-and-such packaging cannot be used (as an example) or your choice of A or B, but C is no longer in service, so to speak. 

There are pages and pages of “ecological warnings” in media every day. People tend to pay no attention, frankly. If a City, County or State population votes to change packaging or processing it will happen. Everyone sitting in a circle proclaiming “every responsible citizen should/must” or “thou shalt NOT” (do this or that) hasn’t worked for anything except to make people feel superior to others and say so. Yet another way to say me good, you bad. Me smart and scientific, you...not.  As if we needed more ways...

CA has done a very good job in this area, accomplishing much in many areas as far as ecology.  Every area moves (or doesn’t) at a different pace. 

I do what I do (or not, as the case may be). I have no desire to tell others that they would be better people (like me) if they only did this, that and the other. And if anyone thinks I’m a lesser person (or less intelligent) because I don’t pin “Must Act Now” notes around the house every time I read an article with the word “science” in it - there is pure science and there is sponsored science, and there is probability, assumption, educated guesses and...fake science just like fake news.  And as has been said many, many times - virtually any POV can be supported by opposing articles/POV.  “Mine’s (source) excellent (of course), yours is totally invalid (of course).”

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

I've read they are after the dairy and cattle industry here in CA.  Cow flatulence causing global warming.  Is this over the top?  YES.

It’s going OTT with finger-pointing to deflect. Do cows produce methane? Yes.  Are there industrial uses for the methane they produce? Yes. Can this methane be processed straight from the dairy? Yes. 

http://strausfamilycreamery.com/values-in-action/methane-digester

So in an ecologically forward-thinking state, it can be done. But it’s not like herds of various types of cattle just popped up in the late 20th C. The methane may be contributing, but it’s not the reason for global warming. 

You tackle those things that the most people will get behind the most easily first, and worry about the farther-out stuff later.

Honored Contributor

Related -

One local area has a voluntary thing going in restaurants and take-outs - no more plastic straws. I think that’s great, per se, but not as great in practice. Right now, your choice is paper straws or no straws. Sometimes, you just need a straw. The paper straws “taste” disGUSTING (how did we ever do this, many years ago). I’m all for whatever ecologically friendly substitute they come up with - other than plain uncoated paper.  Surely there must be something - a simple biodegradable coating? - that would improve this.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Here are some new innovations in packaging

https://www.packagingstrategies.com/articles/89355-top-innovations-in-packaging

@cherry

This makes me think of the enormous amount of packaging accumulated from online ordering.  Box after box. I’ve heard a lot is recycled but not all.  I wonder if that’s a real problem.

Honored Contributor

@cherry

I saw this today on tv and wonder what is next on this list done by whom? Pollution/global warming/cow flatulence, and maybe human carbon dioxide emissions when exhaling will make the list.

I think the primary concern about polluting the atmosphere out to directed towards 2 of the polluting nations on the planet like china and india. We here are a small part of the globe and many are trying to do reasonable things to limit their contributions to pollution. Now the celebs making the most noise, while at the same time flying in their private jets all over the world to spread the message? Really, an egg/bacon(or sausage) McMuffin?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut

We can't force those 2 nations to clean up their act. But, I don't think that excuses us ,from trying to make our own corner of the world cleaner.  My son has been to both places and said they were filthy.

When a tiny drop of something is used every day, maybe several times a day, by millions and millions of people, it adds up quickly

Just like the straws @Moonchilde mentioned.  If they could find a biodegradable straw, that people like, just think of the amount of plastic that wouldn't be in landfills ,from just doing that

Esteemed Contributor

Re: the type os sandwich you eat can add to pollution and global warming

wrote:

I've always disagree with those who expouse global warming as I firmly believe everything in nature is cyclical.  And, also gotta "luv" how so many global evangelists fly around in their private jets, et al.

But now, that they've attacked a sandwich - just too much.Woman Mad

@eddyandme  I agree w/you.  Never did agree w/global warming....yes, I've said the same thing......it's cyclical.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

@cherry

I saw this today on tv and wonder what is next on this list done by whom? Pollution/global warming/cow flatulence, and maybe human carbon dioxide emissions when exhaling will make the list.

I think the primary concern about polluting the atmosphere out to directed towards 2 of the polluting nations on the planet like china and india. We here are a small part of the globe and many are trying to do reasonable things to limit their contributions to pollution. Now the celebs making the most noise, while at the same time flying in their private jets all over the world to spread the message? Really, an egg/bacon(or sausage) McMuffin?

hckynut(john)

The USA has 5% of the world's population, but uses a quarter of its energy. We rank last out of 17 countries surveyed in regards to sustainable behavior.

I'd say we should clean up our own back yard before we start pointing fingers at other countries . Our bad stewardship of this planet is not the fault of India and China. If we hope to remain the most powerful country, we should lead by example. So far we are failing in this regard.