Honored Contributor

Re: the type of sandwich you eat can add to pollution and global warming

What price can you put on a child's life, and future?  These children may never be able to enter the workforce.They might be on disability their entire life. They aren't the only ones that were poisoned by drinking water, they were told was safe... Even when people complained they were ignored the water looked dirty ,and when tested it was dirty

I will always opt for green packaging ,when it's made available to me, even if it costs more

https://www.cnn.com/2017/01/31/health/iyw-flint-water-crisis-two-years-later/index.html

Honored Contributor

@cherry is so right.  Who cares whether you get your information from a celebrity, or a scientist, or the neighbor down the street (who may be both, for that matter).  

No need to resent the source or whether some celebrity flies on jets.   Just realize we all have a stake in a healthier world and act accordingly to the extent that you can without letting resentment get in the way.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

@cherry

I saw this today on tv and wonder what is next on this list done by whom? Pollution/global warming/cow flatulence, and maybe human carbon dioxide emissions when exhaling will make the list.

I think the primary concern about polluting the atmosphere out to directed towards 2 of the polluting nations on the planet like china and india. We here are a small part of the globe and many are trying to do reasonable things to limit their contributions to pollution. Now the celebs making the most noise, while at the same time flying in their private jets all over the world to spread the message? Really, an egg/bacon(or sausage) McMuffin?

hckynut(john)

The USA has 5% of the world's population, but uses a quarter of its energy. We rank last out of 17 countries surveyed in regards to sustainable behavior.

I'd say we should clean up our own back yard before we start pointing fingers at other countries . Our bad stewardship of this planet is not the fault of India and China. If we hope to remain the most powerful country, we should lead by example. So far we are failing in this regard.

Lead by example is a nobal cause, however to what end.  The US has lost manufacturing jobs to India and China because of regulations.  There has to a balance if anything is to succeed.

We didn't lose jobs because of regulations, we lost jobs because sending factories to low paying countries made more money for the corporations.

Esteemed Contributor

The biggest carbon emitters on this planet are people.  If people stop exhaling carbon dioxide - the perceived problem is solved.

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

@cherry

I saw this today on tv and wonder what is next on this list done by whom? Pollution/global warming/cow flatulence, and maybe human carbon dioxide emissions when exhaling will make the list.

I think the primary concern about polluting the atmosphere out to directed towards 2 of the polluting nations on the planet like china and india. We here are a small part of the globe and many are trying to do reasonable things to limit their contributions to pollution. Now the celebs making the most noise, while at the same time flying in their private jets all over the world to spread the message? Really, an egg/bacon(or sausage) McMuffin?

hckynut(john)

The USA has 5% of the world's population, but uses a quarter of its energy. We rank last out of 17 countries surveyed in regards to sustainable behavior.

I'd say we should clean up our own back yard before we start pointing fingers at other countries . Our bad stewardship of this planet is not the fault of India and China. If we hope to remain the most powerful country, we should lead by example. So far we are failing in this regard.

Lead by example is a nobal cause, however to what end.  The US has lost manufacturing jobs to India and China because of regulations.  There has to a balance if anything is to succeed.

We didn't lose jobs because of regulations, we lost jobs because sending factories to low paying countries made more money for the corporations.

If you want to believe that requlations had nothing to do with it, OK.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

The evidence is there.  Heck, the factories are there and they are paying pennies on the dollar, that includes Apple.  The "regulations" are just hot air.  We all know factories like those making ties and shirts are in China, and that their profits increase and their taxes go down offshore.  This ain't news.

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

The evidence is there.  Heck, the factories are there and they are paying pennies on the dollar, that includes Apple.  The "regulations" are just hot air.  We all know factories like those making ties and shirts are in China, and that their profits increase and their taxes go down offshore.  This ain't news.

Believe what you want, it is OK

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I go on evidence, not "belief", the latter belongs in a church or temple.

The evidence is already there.

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I go on evidence, not "belief", the latter belongs in a church or temple.

The evidence is already there.

OK, if thats what think.