Respected Contributor

Re: the story out of the Dominican Republic is really getting scary

@cherry wrote:

A big scandal broke over the weekend, about a ball player who was shot by two D R  police

A drug dealer called for a hit on him  because he thought he was having an affair with his wife

The guy is  back in the states now, and seems to be doing well

David Ortiz was not shot by any Dominican police officers. 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418  This what what I read. The story must have changed as it progressed

Trusted Contributor

@GiantsLover  I'll say!  That is definitely one place that is not on my bucket list.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't followed the stories all that closely so wondering if it's just Americans that this is happening to. In other words being targeted. Anyone know?

Honored Contributor

It's not so scary to me.  We hope to get a nice deal on a late  Fall trip there since they say people are canceling trips.  A handful of suspicious deaths out of the hundreds of thousands of tourists visits doesn't even compute if you wanted a statistic.  I'm discounting all the "I was there 8 months ago and got sick" stories.  People want to jump on that bandwagon.  However, I do think somone was probably poisoning something in the mini bars at the hotel where the recent deaths occurred.  If not that, it's probably something environmental.  Whatever happened, it will all be figured out.  

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Then there is still that badly beaten lady who was almost killed...

I didn't read about her.  Was this at that same hotel?

It was a different hotel and that seems to have fallen off everyone's radar.  The DR police said there  were some holes in her story and then the resort documented that she tried to blackmail them.  For $1.5 million, she told them she wouldn't go public with her story but they refused to pay.  I think after that, the press got suspicious and back away from the story.    

Honored Contributor

My GF and I travelled to the DR (Punta Cana) every Dec. for 15 years in a row.  We always felt safe in the resort.  There was no reason to travel outside the grounds.  They have everything you could want right there.

We have seen enough 'sites' on all the islands during numerous cruises.  Done enough excursions on shore. 

At night, there were security personnel in white safari outfits posted mostly near the beach since you were not allowed to ocean swim at night.  They were not armed.

We have not gone the last two years due to job changes and loss of vac time but we would not hesitate to go to our same resort again.

However, no more going out for walks or ice alone at night.  After that woman was attacked, we realize how foolish it is not to stay together.  It isn't just resort staff you should be careful of...but other drunk guests out of hand as well.  While I have never seen any ill behavior by guests ever (other than skimpy or no beachwear) women should always be on guard.

Honored Contributor

I would think Hawaii would be a beautiful substitute, yes?

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

That is a very poor country like Haiti.  I don't understand why anyone would want to visit.  So you stay at a 5 star resort, the surrounding area is rough.

The DR is nothing at all like Haiti.  Yes, there are poverty and crime but no where near the levels that you would find in Haiti.  Obviously, you haven't travelled because if you did, you would know that almost all the glorious tropical locations that tourists go to for fun and sun and relaxation are surrounded by poor areas that tourists are advised to avoid.   Incuding Miami and New Orleans.  

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I would think Hawaii would be a beautiful substitute, yes?

@sidsmom  Hawaii would definitely be more expensive. I think one of the reasons people go to the Dominican Republic is the bargain trip prices.