Honored Contributor

Re: the story out of the Dominican Republic is really getting scary

@cherry wrote:

Then there is still that badly beaten lady who was almost killed...

I didn't read about her.  Was this at that same hotel?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot  it was at a popular resort. The guy  that  beat her was wearing a resort uniform.  She was hit from behind ,and drug into a crawl space

He beat and choked her so badly, she is lucky to be alive. The resort refused 3 times to send out a search party for her. It took 8 hrs to find her

The police didn't administer a rape kit test for 48 hrs

Her face was a mess .. google it an see the pictures. They are to graphic to post

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@QueenDanceALot  it was at a popular resort. The guy  that  beat her was wearing a resort uniform.  She was hit from behind ,and drug into a crawl space

He beat and choked her so badly, she is lucky to be alive. The resort refused 3 times to send out a search party for her. It took 8 hrs to find her

The police didn't administer a rape kit test for 48 hrs

Her face was a mess .. google it an see the pictures. They are to graphic to post

How awful.

I think I will pass on looking at the pictures.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I read about a couple who are suing the resort because they too got sick and had respiratory and heart problems.

They remembered that they saw maintenance spraying weed killer around the air conditioner units and they had a strong chemical smell in their room.  It was so bad they they were moved to another room, but didn't feel any better. They believe the chemical is entering the rooms through the AC ducts.

When  back in the states and at the hospital, they discovered their symptoms were identical to those that people get from that chemical that is in Roundup. The one they were sued over...don't remember the name of it.

Hopefully,they will get to the bottom of this problem and prevent it from happening again.  This is scary stuff.

@Carmie  I read that too. That couple is lucky to be alive.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That is a very poor country like Haiti.  I don't understand why anyone would want to visit.  So you stay at a 5 star resort, the surrounding area is rough.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

The country is beautiful, with many wonderful attractions.

If it is not safe right now, I hope that status will change.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

We have been there twice on cruises.  The first time we took a tour (5 hours) to a coffee/spice "plantation" as well as throughout the island.  Very poor country. The coffee plantation was really two small houses connected by an elevated walkway. No electricity. One house was used for food prep and the other for sleeping. The cruise line put flush toilets on the property for the passengers but the Dominican family used an outhouse. They often shopped at small bodegas a few times a day when preparing a meal for items that needed refrigeration. 

The second time, we stayed at the port. The cruise line developed the port area with a huge swimming pool, a few restaurants and several shops so that passengers would not have to go into the city. 

Honored Contributor

I’ve been traveling to Caribbean, Central American, and South American countries since I was 18.  We’ve always been advised of the dangers and urged to stay within the resorts area, or hire a guide to take us anywhere else. 

Of course, we can still be in danger, but at this time, I’d stay away from the DR. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 :  I visited D.R. about a dozen years ago.  I was on a cruise and it was one of our ports.  DH and I were under whelmed.  The resort area was pretty but " manufactured".  Additionally the area that we were in had many armed guards.  I don't like to go to resorts that need protecting by armed guards.

Honored Contributor

@patbz  I don't think anyone wants to see armed guards on vacation.  There is a list of countries I saw on the Internet the other day that are rated Do not visit.  Haiti was one.  DR I do not remember but I remember from my Aunt years ago that was on a cruise and said is was very poor.  However, in most cases poor brings crime and no one wants to see all this poverty on vacation.  I feel for the people that have to live like that and it is too bad that there cannot be a change for them.

kindness is strength