Esteemed Contributor

There was a post here not too long ago about Matthew McConaughey encouraging people to wear masks. 

Do celebs carry that much weight with you?  Have you ever had your mind changed about anything important by a celebrity?

I know some have done PSAs for medical causes, encouraging testing, etc. But even at that, if you'd decided you didn't want or need what they were recommending, would their message get you to change your mind?

Me...no. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

No, no influence one way or the other.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I think if they recognize that their fame can have an influence on people that they use it responsibly and for good. Also before espousing a cause, they should know what they are talking about. Unlike many here, I have no problem with celebrities speaking out, they are citizens and have that right. It is up to the individual whether or not they are influenced.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

No.  I get my medical recommendations from board-certified physicians, not those famous for acting.

Trusted Contributor

No body can change me!

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Respected Contributor

Re: the power of celebrity

[ Edited ]

@esmerelda wrote:

There was a post here not too long ago about Matthew McConaughey encouraging people to wear masks. 

Do celebs carry that much weight with you?  Have you ever had your mind changed about anything important by a celebrity?

I know some have done PSAs for medical causes, encouraging testing, etc. But even at that, if you'd decided you didn't want or need what they were recommending, would their message get you to change your mind?

Me...no. 

They did many years ago. In my mid 30's I changed. Their opinions don't mean squat to me in my life. I actually get turned off by QVC and other places pushing the whole this celeb loves this item idea. I just don't care who likes an item if I like it that's what matters. 

Respected Contributor

No

Respected Contributor

No, a celebrity's opinion isn't going to influence me but I will say that what they say tells me about them and that is interesting to me.

Esteemed Contributor

Certainly not.  Celebrities touting services and products that they themselves most likely would not need or purchase are ridiculous and made just for the money.  Examples I can think of:  Joe Namath for Medicare, Martin Sheen for prescription drug savings, Tom Selleck for reverse mortgages, and Alex Trebek for insurance, to name a few. 

Honored Contributor

Re: the power of celebrity

[ Edited ]

grumpy-cat-says-no.jpg

Except for Grumpy Cat......Cat Wink Cat Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”