Valued Contributor

@membersinceCVN wrote:

NO!  I'm so tired of non-medical celebs telling us what to do.  Where were they during the last pandemic 10 years ago when I worked in the hospital.  We had more patients on vents from the H1N1 virus then.  Right now we only have one patient in our hospital with covid-19 and that patient is getting discharged.  We have not had one death from covid-19 in the county where I live, which includes several towns.  We had many deaths from the H1N1 virus 10 years ago!

Your sentiments echo those of my brother (a doctor at a hospital in St. Louis).

Valued Contributor

I think a public service announcement from the milleniall's favorite singers and actors might persuade them to wear a mask if they're not doing so already. I don't think I would be swayed...I'm already convinced it's important to wear a mask and don't need a non medical professional to tell me to do so.  

Esteemed Contributor

The only celebrity that inspired me to part with my money was Houston Texans football player J.J. Watt.  after Hurricane Harvey.  He started a fund raiser with $100,000 of his own money with a goal of $200,000. He raised $41.6 million, will an accounting of monies spent.  When I saw how he was personally working in the community and the money received was actually going to the people, I donated.  

Celebs commercials hawking products does nothing for me.  If I like an article of  I will buy but not because a celeb "designed" it.  Sometimes I will purposely not buy from certain celebs because I think they are phony and I'm not just talkings actors.  

Esteemed Contributor

Celebs have zero power to influence me. If I see a celebrity I enjoy I think -- Oh, that was nice. If Michael Bluble had an inspiring message, I'd give him a second look. I do enjoy human interest stories like JJ Watts. KC Chiefs has a medical doctor who plays on our team. Enjoyed the little blip from him, as he was volunteering in his Canadian hometown, asking our town to stay safe. That was heartwarming. Good people doing good things are okay with me.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

Yup Danny and Marlo Thomas, St. Jude's Hospital

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

They get a bad rap for voicing their opinions. No one is forced to agree with them or be influenced by them, just as none of us are forced to agree another poster about an issue.

Difference being that the posters on this board are not being paid or looking for a monitary gain when posting about an issue.

Neither are all celebs.

Any and all publicity is something a celebrity strives for in order to increase earnings.

What a cynical view of life.

Honored Contributor

No. Celebrities, especially most of what passes for 'celebrity' in today's world, carries no sway with me. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Contributor

If people believe that the Covid-19 deaths are being reported accurately, you are mistaken.  Do you work in a hospital?  And guess what?  People were not being tested extensively for H1N1 back then like they are with Covid-19.  There were over 60,000 deaths this flu season with the flu and we have a vaccine for that!  Many people had the flu and did not seek medical help and recovered on their own at home.  Did you wear a mask, sanitize everything and social distance because of the flu virus?  A regular mask does not block a virus as they are much smaller particles that a regular mask can block.  N95 masks have to be fit tested and don't work for everyone.  I got fit tested every year.  A regular mask does help prevent the spread of DROPLETS if a person is coughing or sneezing.  I feel so sad for everyone that have lost family and friends to Covid-19 and from the flu virus.  I feel just as bad for that person who worked all their life to build a business just to see their dreams go down the drain.  All I know is that non-medical people are suddenly being experts in disease.  

Honored Contributor

@membersinceCVN wrote:

If people believe that the Covid-19 deaths are being reported accurately, you are mistaken.  Do you work in a hospital?  And guess what?  People were not being tested extensively for H1N1 back then like they are with Covid-19.  There were over 60,000 deaths this flu season with the flu and we have a vaccine for that!  Many people had the flu and did not seek medical help and recovered on their own at home.  Did you wear a mask, sanitize everything and social distance because of the flu virus?  A regular mask does not block a virus as they are much smaller particles that a regular mask can block.  N95 masks have to be fit tested and don't work for everyone.  I got fit tested every year.  A regular mask does help prevent the spread of DROPLETS if a person is coughing or sneezing.  I feel so sad for everyone that have lost family and friends to Covid-19 and from the flu virus.  I feel just as bad for that person who worked all their life to build a business just to see their dreams go down the drain.  All I know is that non-medical people are suddenly being experts in disease.  

You can repeated your false comparison as often as you want, but that will not make it true. @membersinceCVN 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@membersinceCVN wrote:

All are tragic situations and one would assume anyone with their wits about them would agree... And yes, the number of lay 'experts' seems to increase exponentially...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...