Honored Contributor

Re: the old question...nature vs. nurture

@Drythe wrote:

@chickenbutt 

understand what you are saying, and am glad you made it through!

Often think of this saying,

“I lost a finn in the war of life, so I swim with a list, still, I swim.”

Early on I knew that my best interests we're in my own hands.

It does leave a scar. ♥️️

Heart   Thank You!

I honestly don't want to be taken as whiny and just sitting back with the 'poor, poor, pitiful me' deal but I also must be totally honest.  Some folks will understand and some won't.  

One thing is that I don't want people who struggle to feel so alone.  If being brutally honest helps them to know that they are not alone, it is a bit consoling for them.   We do what we can with what we have, I suppose.  I've gone through 6 decades and I have made some terribly wrong turns, especially early on when I was trying to figure things out, out in the world.   But I just plug along and work on keeping myself out of the hole.  If I can help somebody else, all the better.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

While I think the circumstances we grew up in, plus the type of family we had definitely influence us,  I do believe that ultimately genes have the upper hand.

In my family, for example, there were three kids.

We were all raised the same way, by the same parents.

My two sibs definitely take after my dad's family, personality, habits, relationships, likes and dislikes, etc.

I definitely take after my mom's family.

So I think that genes have the edge.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor

It’s sad to know that some people think that if one is born into bad circumstances or suffers some trauma they have no hope of having a better life.  

Does that mean anyone with a good or happy life was born that way?

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

Your post was very touching. I am certain countless others can relate to it! Thanks for posting.

~~~All we need is love💖

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

It’s sad to know that some people think that if one is born into bad circumstances or suffers some trauma they have no hope of having a better life.  

@esmerelda, that would be sad, wouldn't it? Good that nobody considered that as an absolute.

As to your second sentence, I don't is anyone is born with a happy life in his or her future. I can't imagine anyone thinking that.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@esmerelda, that would be sad, wouldn't it? Good that nobody considered that as an absolute.

As to your second sentence, I don't is anyone is born with a happy life in his or her future. I can't imagine anyone thinking that.

@suzyQ3 

You are correct!  Of course no one said a person who is born into a difficult life, or suffered trauma has no hope of having a better future.  How silly!

What was said is that people born into those circumstances often have a more difficult path.  Internationally those born into grinding poverty, epidemic health issues, and natural disasters are rarely able to move out, or up.

Have learned, in this particular circumstance, the intent is to drive a point, and have the last word rather than to have a meaningful exchange.  Not a game I have time for. 😌

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras