Respected Contributor

Re: the cost of glasses

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

just got  new pr of frames and lens. I use the titanium frames and a new lens material that is ighter than what they had in the past. The lady at the optomistrist said that  glass material changes very rapidly

Before insurance it was about $700. after it came down to around $400. I just bought new glasses last year. If I need new glasses next year I would like to to reuse my new frames

Has anyone here done this before?

Hi Cherry yes I have in the past. I think this year, I will do the same, as I have bifocals - both near & far sighted (thanks to working on computers for over 30 years - I do blame them for my poor eyesight) I wear contacts for the most part, but I do wear my glasses when the contacts aren't in. Since my contacts are worn more than my glasses, I try to save $$ with my glasses. My insurance for the bifocals I want (which are progessive bifocals)  are not really covered too well. I usually pay around 400 to 600 dollars and so if I can reuse my frames, I will.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor

Love my old sunglasses-- the lenses were defective at first so the place gave me a free upgrade and did the lenses again.

i am in the same spot as chickenbutt w/vision -- far as opposed to near. 

New glasses requiring new frames and lenses. These now are so scratched that Seeing is often troublesome. They are so lightweight that they took a beating when I was teaching.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

be happy that you have insurance for glasses,

Costco is also good for glasses, frame selection not as fancy, but the lenses are high end

Honored Contributor

@granddi:  You explained it very well. I find it to be a very difficult purchase. Choosing a frame is a major project. Then, there are so many lens "options," l equate it to buying a car, lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Super Contributor

My glasses are always 100% out of my pocket. My insurance pays for me to have my eyes examined as I see an opthamologist rather than an optometrist, but it has never paid for glasses. I could add vision coverage, but it would cost me more than the benefit is worth, and then it wouldn't cover any of the eye exams. I've reused frames multiple times. They always tell me that they're "not sure it will work", but I've never had a problem. 

Honored Contributor

You might want to try a cheap pair of glasses from Zenni.com. I bought a pair from them just two months ago that are great. Mine were titanium frames with matching polarized sunglass clipons, progressive polycarbonate lenses, and the final cost was under $85. Similar glasses in a local opticians office would have been over $400.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I thank all of you for your advice. I buy charmant frames in titanium. I get the rimless style with the bows and nose piece attached directly to the lens. I just wondered if anyone has ever reused this type?

They are very lightweight and I am farsighted so my right lens is shaved down to the thinest it can be. My frames were $339 and I hope to get a couple of years from them. Of course maybe my RX won't change

Honored Contributor

Are your glasses something like these?

http://www.zennioptical.com/372811-rimless-hingeless-titanium-frame.html

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

For those who rely on one pair of glasses, try Coastal Contacts for a spare set.

New customers get a "free" pair of glasses.  The selection is limited (some fashionable options), there are no upgrades to the lenses and you pay for shipping (~$15).  But it's pretty good for a spare pair of glasses.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

For anyone needing new glasses, please check out zenni optical online!!!  I recieved my first order from them this week and I was amazed!!  This is the first year I needbifocal glasses. I wear multi focal contacts for ayear, but it was time to update the glasses. Doctors office had limited selection. I picked one pair and they would cost 350.00 and thats after insurance with VSP.  People have told me VSP is one of the best insurance for EYecare.  I learned able ut zenni from this board.  With shipping, my glasses with progressive lenses cost less than 92.00!!!!  😀. They are beautiful and The lenses were great and everything looks more crisp and clear!  They have over 3,000 frames to browse.  

I dont think yu will be disappointed with their quality nor the price!!