Honored Contributor

just got  new pr of frames and lens. I use the titanium frames and a new lens material that is ighter than what they had in the past. The lady at the optomistrist said that  glass material changes very rapidly

Before insurance it was about $700. after it came down to around $400. I just bought new glasses last year. If I need new glasses next year I would like to to reuse my new frames

Has anyone here done this before?

Honored Contributor

I've reused frames before. 

My glasses, AFTER insurance pays, usually cost me about $850. Again, that's my out of pocket. I have a very strong prescription, have them grind the lenses as thin as they can and have progressive bi focals. 

I always laugh at the "get two pairs for $79' including eye exam!" Commercials. Sure.....I believe it. Wouldn't happen with my prescription. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

You can do it, but if you don't go to a place that can make your new lenses in an hour then what are you going to do for glasses in the meantime? I need my glasses 24/7, I can't wear contacts and I only have one set of glasses. They always send my frames out and it takes a week to get my glasses back. I can't go a week without glasses. So I get new frames. Luckily my eyes are pretty stable so I don't need new lenses every year anyway. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I've re-used frames.  I'd just be sure to go to a reputable optician because if they skrew up your frames it's tough noogies for you.  Smiley Happy    So far, so good with my experience in that regard.  

If you have good quality frames and a good optician you should be golden.

My glasses tend to cost considerably more so I'm now in the mode of not getting new ones too often at all.  I'm blind as a bat and majorly near-sighted.  For many years my 'far' vision kept getting worse and now it's just my close-up vision getting worse.  I can just bring something close to my face and either removed my glasses or look over them and I'm fine with that for now.    We had an awesome vision care policy for years.  I will miss it greatly.

Honored Contributor

I usually buy new frames every three years and keep the old glasses as backups.  If needed a new pair more often, I'd definitely reuse my frames.

Respected Contributor

I think my sunglass frames are over 5 years old and this was the third time I've had them do lenses for them. You sign a piece of paper acknowledging that the frames could break during the process and they will not be held responsible.

I always keep my "old" glasses as backup just in case something goes wrong with the new ones. I have to wear glasses as long as my eyes are open. I've been told that any of my old frames can be reused because they are in excellent shape after being worn only one year. But again, that paper has to be signed first.

Esteemed Contributor

I have done that in the past however in the last few years it's been difficult to fit my old lenses into the new frames. Now, there wasn't too much size or shape differance in the frames but the lense material changed. I am very nearsighted so my lenses are thick but I pay extra for that treatment to thin them out. Metal frames seem to be easier to fit if you have the thicker lenses and are attempting to reuse.. That has been my experience.     

Honored Contributor

@JAXS mom wrote:

You can do it, but if you don't go to a place that can make your new lenses in an hour then what are you going to do for glasses in the meantime? I need my glasses 24/7, I can't wear contacts and I only have one set of glasses. They always send my frames out and it takes a week to get my glasses back. I can't go a week without glasses. So I get new frames. Luckily my eyes are pretty stable so I don't need new lenses every year anyway. 

This is the real issue. And almost no place makes glasses in an hour if you get fancy lenses, have bifocals or progressive lenses, etc. I've used Lenscrafters for years and the last time I was able to get my glasses in an hour was in the 90s.

I like to keep an older pair of glasses as an emergency backup pair which can be worn for 7-14 days while a new pair is being made.

Honored Contributor

I've often reused frames over the years.  But it depends on the frame and what shape they're in as to whether or not I decide to reuse them, and it depends upon whether the optician agrees, of course.  If my new prescription is similar to the old one, meaning no huge change in the thickness of the new glass/plastic, it usually works fine.  My sunglass frames have had at least three different prescriptions in them, but they're pretty thick plastic and I only use those particular sunglasses gently so they're still in good shape.  I've reused titanium frames a couple of times also, with no problems.

There is a risk that the frames may be damaged when they try to fit the new lenses, but I've never had a problem.  If you ask the optician, they'll be able to tell you if it's feasible with your frames and lenses.  I'm another one that keeps old glasses as spares, and I also use an old pair for working outside.

I agree that eyeglasses prices have gone crazy in the last few years.  Even the "cheap" places aren't cheap anymore!

Respected Contributor

The price of eyeglasses is discussed frequently here. They are a unique product that requires the consumer to separate the eyeglasses into two distinct parts--the lenses and the frames. Finally, one should consider the services that are provided by the eyeglasses vendor.

Frames are your choice and your choice can dictate a large part of eyeglasses costs. So when some says he/she paid this amount for eyeglasses you should always ask how much for the frames. Were the frames current designer frames at full suggested retail, discontinued designer frames, special materials such as titanium, rimless (frameless), or generic frames. Frames such as those that require drilling holes in leses or running nylon cords to hold lenses,  require special lens edging cost more. 

Lenses can be of modest cost or luxury cost depending upon the quality of lens materials, special coating, strength of Rx and others. Lenses that are tinted such as polarized, transitions or glare resistant cost more. Lenses with scratch protection cost more. There are many grades of lens treatment. So if one optical says they offer scratch coating for $10 and the other offers it for $100, the $100 store is not ripping you off. For example, a lens called Crizal offers superior glare, UV and scratch protection which includes a generous warranty but with a cost that adds to the basic lens Rx cost. 

One should consider services offered by your optical such as frame and lens warranties. You mentioned wanting to use your previous frames and you should know that many independent opticals will have loaner/substitue frames for your lenses while your frames are sent for fabrication. Does your optical offer free adjustments and minor repairs. 

There is nothing wrong with deals on glasses either on line or at a store but it is impossible to compare top of the line ultra thin, light weight lenses with premium scratch and glare protection with $12.00 eyewear. Yes you got designer frames at Cosco but I can assure you they are many years old, discontinued and parts not available. It does not in any way make them inferior. But It makes the optical shop that sells current frame styles and top of the line lenses look like they are the ripping you off and they are not. 

Optometrists and Optical Shops hate vision insurance. Vision insurance dictate where your lenses are made and what brands of coatings and treatments are provided.