Honored Contributor

Re: the Squirrel Man is Here

@songbirdwrote:

@Mz iMacwrote:

@songbird

Just curious...

What did Alice edit in your post? confused.gif

Beats me!  LOL.  Did not even notice.  Maybe a screw up in the data?  

Alice is from QVC.  I don't know why she edited it.  Looks like the same.  

Esteemed Contributor

Squirrels have been an ongoing, costly, destructive problem in my neighborhood for a few years now.

When they entered my neighbor's home through the chimney, several of us told her we saw squirrels taking in small leafy twigs for nest building, and stockpiling food (raiding a trash cart in a nearby yard). A couple of us recommended pest control options.

Declaring she was too busy to address the issue, she did nothing!!

By the following autumn we had at least 2 litters of young squirrels who'd been born and raised inside a man-made structure. There was steady squirrel traffic over her roof, and by snowfall a second and third entrance had been chewed through the fascia of her house.

One day she told me a squirrel was raiding her kitchen trash, while another watched from the sink when she got up that day. She didn't like it, but she still didn't call in pest control. (This isn't a lack of funds issue.)

6 months later the whole area was overrun with squirrels who were determined to make their home inside of man-made structures! They're now inside of at least one other house on my street, plus several garages and tool sheds. One neighbor removed the protective tarp to find squirrels had chewed holes in his boat.

This June I'll be trapping squirrels and releasing them in a park at least a quarter mile away. I'll start by trapping the ones that've chewed a hole into my garage. By the way, once inside, they keep chewing...non-stop!!!

I'm certain I could easily trap and remove one a day, with a goal of 50.

Valued Contributor

They may say they release them and maybe the very rare person does ...but the problem is that squirrels don't survive unless you release them properly.

if you just turn a squirrel loose, it will probably not survive.

I help release rehabilitated squirrels and it takes a while for each squirrel to find his own territory, build himself a nest and source his own food supply. Weeks sometimes. During that time, until he is established, he will return each night to the release cage because he hasn't got anywhere else to go.

I cannot imagine just turning one loose and expecting it to be OK. Yes, it's alive but for how long? Resources are scarce, it takes a while to figure out where to choose a safe nest let alone actually build it and local territorial squirrels will defend their patch.

Also, at this time of year there will be nests of babies who will die a miserable death if they are forcibly abandoned.

I know we have to evict squirrels sometimes but go into it informed because what the pest guy is telling you is not what happens. It almost never has a happy ending. 

Honored Contributor

@Bri36wrote:

They’re nasty creatures.   They can do so much damage and carry disease 

You could say the same thing about people...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pagan, that's why I'm not trapping now. Trees haven't leafed out yet.

I don't know where you live, but here squirrels are thought of on the same level as rats.

Personally I'm not concerned about their survival after I relocate them. I will release each at the base of a tree. The trap leaves with me. I have no expectation about it being ok. What I expect is to have an end to their damage.

I would prefer to poison those that are trapped inside buildings, since they will very likely chew into buildings in their new location as well. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

They've caused several thousands worth of damage.

I've worked with pest control through my work. They may kill or re-release, but they have no reason to lie about which it will be...unless (as they say) you can't handle the truth.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bri36wrote:

@Bri36- I'm with you. The bricks can start flying, but I don't care. I hate those tree rats. They've caused thousands of dollars of damage to my home over the years, plus the cost of the exterminators. Hate hate hate them!!!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@sunalawrote:

@Bri36wrote:

@Bri36- I'm with you. The bricks can start flying, but I don't care. I hate those tree rats. They've caused thousands of dollars of damage to my home over the years, plus the cost of the exterminators. Hate hate hate them!!!

I believe it.

Respected Contributor

@steviebwrote:

@Bri36wrote:

You could say the same thing about people...

I'm not even sure what to say in response.

But okay, I guess.

Respected Contributor

I guess my DH can be considered the squirrel man in our neighborhood.  LOL.  He has caught and released at least 40 in the last 2 years.  We have a reservoir a few miles away and it must be a real family reunion each time he drops one off.  In our state the Critter Control folks do release the critters unless they look sick.  We have rabid skunks, etc.