Respected Contributor

After reading suzyQ3's candid post, I decided to do the same and see if anyone here has a suggestion that I haven't yet pursued.

Almost 2 years ago I started thinking that the house we had just moved in to had a foul odor.    I then noticed that I smelled that other places too and then that I had very little sense of taste left.

I've seen an ENT doctor and everything looked fine.  I had a CT brain scan and all was great.  I went off of statins because I read somewhere that a side effect could be loss of smell and taste but there was no difference (side + is that I haven't gone back on them), I talked to my PCP, endocrinologist and cardiologist about it, and the pharmacist said to try zinc but no change there.  My last resort will be to see an allergist.   I'm wondering since this appeared within months of moving across country , that it could be some allergy to something here.

Anyone have any experience with this or any suggestions that I've overlooked?   Thanks!!

Esteemed Contributor

Loss of taste & smell is a symptom of covid-19.

Respected Contributor

When you say you smell it other places ... do you mean places away from your home?

If it is just in your home, I would get someone to come in and check for mold.....I guess google to find someone who does that?  Also have an exterminator check for little openings where mice could get in.  I had a dead mouse in the studs behind a drywalled closet wall once....the smell was horrid, and took a long time to dissipate.

But if you smell it when you are away from home also, it could be some kind of chronic sinus thing.  I would definitely  mention it to your doctor and get his/her input.

Good luck with this...hope you can find a resolution.

Honored Contributor

There could be some AROMA on the breeze......if you live near a stable, a city dump,  an orchard, the beach, or even a smokestack.     Loss of taste can be from a sinus infection, or just plain aging...............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

Loss of taste & smell is a symptom of covid-19.

COVID-19 wasn't around two years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

Do you remember if you took zicam shortly before this happened @Bridgegal? I think that can cause something like that although I'm not sure what the fix is.

Also my dh says mold toxins destroy some olefactory nerves in mice. I'd made sure that there is no mold in the house. You might have your house checked for mold. We had some underneath our house and never would have known, had we not had someone under there doing something else. 

I hope someone can help you get it figured out.

Esteemed Contributor

I had a stroke, then a clot which caused both another stroke and an aneurysm.  Right over Christmas weekend no less.

Yes indeed, they left me smelling a chemical type smell at times, which no one else can smell.  Not foul, or like gas, just a new type of smell.

My taste also sort of went away too.  I have been doing cancer treatments and did lose a lot of weight, which I am trying to regain.  With no taste I just sort of don't like to eat.

I am on a lot of drugs, but they claim they are not cause.  But who knows.

It can be a real thing, never doubt that.  Perhaps there was some cause?  Just for me, the doctors can't help.  Hope you get an answer.

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

After reading suzyQ3's candid post, I decided to do the same and see if anyone here has a suggestion that I haven't yet pursued.

Almost 2 years ago I started thinking that the house we had just moved in to had a foul odor.    I then noticed that I smelled that other places too and then that I had very little sense of taste left.

I've seen an ENT doctor and everything looked fine.  I had a CT brain scan and all was great.  I went off of statins because I read somewhere that a side effect could be loss of smell and taste but there was no difference (side + is that I haven't gone back on them), I talked to my PCP, endocrinologist and cardiologist about it, and the pharmacist said to try zinc but no change there.  My last resort will be to see an allergist.   I'm wondering since this appeared within months of moving across country , that it could be some allergy to something here.

Anyone have any experience with this or any suggestions that I've overlooked?   Thanks!!

I don't mean this to sound insulting. Have you asked your dentist about it? Some sort of hidden chronic dental or gum or mouth or throat nodule infection? Sinus or nose physiology problem? Though one would assume an ear nose and throat doc would have noticed a sinus issue.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

I had a stroke, then a clot which caused both another stroke and an aneurysm.  Right over Christmas weekend no less.

Yes indeed, they left me smelling a chemical type smell at times, which no one else can smell.  Not foul, or like gas, just a new type of smell.

My taste also sort of went away too.  I have been doing cancer treatments and did lose a lot of weight, which I am trying to regain.  With no taste I just sort of don't like to eat.

It can be a real thing, never doubt that.  Perhaps there was some cause?  Just for me, the doctors can't help.  Hope you get an answer.

You've been through too much, @Still Raining. :-(

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

I wish you well and hope you are on the mend.