Respected Contributor

Re: such a dear family ... John John and Caroline

[ Edited ]

@wildcat fan wrote:

JFK was before my time, but I have been fascinated by much that has been written about him and the family.  I'm not one to easily buy into conspiracy theories, but I do find it interesting to read about all the possible things that may have happened surrounding his death.  I've read some lately about the son's (John Jr.'s) death as well--like he could still be alive! Wouldn't that be something!?!?  But, from what I've seen of his sister, Caroline, I'm not all that impressed.  Cute photo and videos out there of them as kids, though, including these Halloween photos posted upthread.  I do miss the simplicity of the holiday from what I remember as a kid compared to what all I see today.

You are not impressed by Caroline Kennedy? She is an attorney, respected author on our rights as Americans. She was ambassador to Japan all while raising 3 children who have turned out to be good people. Oh let's not forget she lost her father in a horrible way when she was 6 years old. He mother died realtively young and her brother in a plane crash at age 38. And she has been married to her husband for 32 years withour a hint os scandal.  And still not impressed?

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

You are not impressed by Caroline Kennedy? She is an attorney, respected author on our rights as Americans. She was ambassador to Japan all while raising 3 children who have turned out to be good people. Oh let's not forget she lost her father in a horrible way when she was 6 years old. He mother died realtively young and her brother in a plane crash at age 38. And she has been married to her husband for 32 years withour a hint os scandal.  And still not impressed?

I'm not impressed by her either, but I'm not taking it personally if others feel differently.  It's not a big deal at the end of the day imo.

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

JFK was before my time, but I have been fascinated by much that has been written about him and the family.  I'm not one to easily buy into conspiracy theories, but I do find it interesting to read about all the possible things that may have happened surrounding his death.  I've read some lately about the son's (John Jr.'s) death as well--like he could still be alive! Wouldn't that be something!?!?  But, from what I've seen of his sister, Caroline, I'm not all that impressed.  Cute photo and videos out there of them as kids, though, including these Halloween photos posted upthread.  I do miss the simplicity of the holiday from what I remember as a kid compared to what all I see today.

All that was possible because she is wealthy and a Kennedy and was raised with a silver spoon in her mouth.  She is a good person, just not remarkable.

Respected Contributor

@manhattan1950 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

The children were little and maybe happy, and most parents including these find joy in their children.

But this was not a dear family or a happy one. 

He cheated, she knew it. There was a lot of ugly in the marriage and in their lives in general. 

I really can't stand the way people make them out to be such a fairly tale couple. It was all an act, it wasn't real. I actually feel sorry for her during those years. She tried to handle it with dignity and grace, but had her own demons as well. 

America wanted a fairy tale. It was anything but. 

Oh, the irony 

There's NOTHING ironic about her post.

Oh  sure there is.  We're just not allowed to discuss it.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

@kivah

Sorry, but politicians were extremely nasty, we just didn't know about it!  The media didn't print or broadcast the things that went on.  For example, Joe Kennedy, the father of the clan, pretty much bought the elections for his sons.  We certainly didn't know anout JFK's womanizing!  Jackie at one time wanted a divorce, Papa Joe persuaded her not to go through with it. We bought the fabricated story that was laid out for us.  

LBJ hated the Kennedy's, he thought he should have been the Democrat nominee and being vice president was a slap in the face.  There are lots of books about those days.  Everything wasn't all sweetness.  I suggest reading Robert Caro's biographies about LBJ, there are 3 volumes all very well researched and referenced.   There are also many books about the Kennedy's.  

Esteemed Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

That's right @50Mickey.  I think if she were from an average American family, she wouldn't have gotten into law school nor would she have been named an ambassador.  I'm not impressed when people get jobs or into college based on their family name.  The last time I watched a video of her speaking in public I cringed.  She was not articulate at all and IMO came across as an embarrassment to her family name.  Many people experience family deaths at an early age and stay married for years without any scandals.  Some might say she has been involved in somewhat of a scandal, but I won't go into that here out of respect to forum guidelines.

Trusted Contributor

@cherry - Actually, the costumes I was referring to in the pictures weren't the ones the children were wearing, I was referring to the costumes Jackie Kennedy and Jean Kennedy had on.  They looked like sacks with eyeholes cut out and just looked strange and creepy to me!  I would think the children would have been afraid of them!  I had never seen anything like them and was curious as to what they were supposed to be?! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lOVETOSHOPpeople often did that with a sheet and went as a ghost, or a hob gobblin

Esteemed Contributor

Re: such a dear family ... Jon Jon and Caroline

Thankyou for sharing O/P. I remember my brothers got there haircut like  John.. John that is what they called it back then. Sadly, those photos seemed  so recent. 

Frequent Contributor

Re: such a dear family ... Jon Jon and Caroline

@cherry wrote:

I read this in my travels ,and I can't swear it's true

Jackie hated her wedding gown.. She didn't pick it out. Joe Kennedy ,her would be  FIL did.

She said it looked like a lampshade. It really didn't look like anything she would ever pick for herself. I don't know how Joe got involved in the choosing of a dress, but, I think that was not nice. A bride should be able to choose her dress

Joe orchestrated everything and everyone in the family.