Frequent Contributor

Re: such a dear family ... Jon Jon and Caroline

@blackhole99 wrote:

Great photos, the Kennedy's were a big deal in our very Roman Catholic family.When the president was assassinated it was like a death in the family. The accident with John, wife and SIL was indeed tragic and IMO could have been prevented if he were a more seasoned pilot.

Sadly, it could have been prevented if he had accepted his instructor's offer to accompany him on the flight. 

Honored Contributor

Re: such a dear family ... John John and Caroline

@Mominohio wrote:

The children were little and maybe happy, and most parents including these find joy in their children.

But this was not a dear family or a happy one. 

He cheated, she knew it. There was a lot of ugly in the marriage and in their lives in general. 

I really can't stand the way people make them out to be such a fairly tale couple. It was all an act, it wasn't real. I actually feel sorry for her during those years. She tried to handle it with dignity and grace, but had her own demons as well. 

America wanted a fairy tale. It was anything but. 

@Mominohio  I think many of us have to go on with life despite things that we have to deal with.  I don't see that today's lifestyle of airing all dity linen and talking about problems (gossiping as it used to be called) and intruding on the personal lives of people in the news is anything but worse.

People back then tried to maintain some dignity and didn't flaunt problems that should be nobody's business outside the family.

What is wrong with trying to maintain some shred of dignity? Sometimes people have to live with less-than-ideal situations and make the best of it, cope as best they can and go on.  Maybe they made sacrifices for the kids.

Honored Contributor

This photo I stumbled across while surfing through my Pinterest a few weeks ago and really hit me hard with the timing of it.  It may have been decades ago and I was a babe myself but still ............  To think they only had a short time left together.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

The children were little and maybe happy, and most parents including these find joy in their children.

He cheated, she knew it. There was a lot of ugly in the marriage and in their lives in general. 

I really can't stand the way people make them out to be such a fairly tale couple. It was all an act, it wasn't real. I actually feel sorry for her during those years. She tried to handle it with dignity and grace, but had her own demons as well. 

Totally agree. All the Kennedy women and wives were drinkers, especially Joan, Teddy’s wife. I think the miracle is that they weren’t heavier drinkers........you’d have to drink to survive marrying into that family. The Kennedy sons were well taught to be sleazy by old Joe Kennedy. If you didn’t follow his path old Joe would probably send you away for a lobotomy, as he did to daughter Rosemary. I will say Jackie did an admirable job raising Caroline and John Jr. alone. Today Caroline is truly a woman to be admired. Perhaps she alone is the final Camelot ending. 

Honored Contributor

I'd like to think that John Jr. was brought up to be a nice young man.  His mother seemed to want the very best (for both children).

But reading that he *cheered* Bill for his shenanigans, makes me think that nothing (commitment, marriage, respect)  was important  to him. 

You would think he had a different perspective knowing the shame, heartache and embarrassment his mother lived with.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Mominohio  I think many of us have to go on with life despite things that we have to deal with.  I don't see that today's lifestyle of airing all dity linen and talking about problems (gossiping as it used to be called) and intruding on the personal lives of people in the news is anything but worse.

People back then tried to maintain some dignity and didn't flaunt problems that should be nobody's business outside the family.

What is wrong with trying to maintain some shred of dignity? Sometimes people have to live with less-than-ideal situations and make the best of it, cope as best they can and go on.  Maybe they made sacrifices for the kids.

@Sooner

I agree that today, everything out in the public is just not like the dignity of days gone by.

I think we could use a lot more of that and the way Jackie maintained such grace in the White House especially. 

The thing I can't stand, is how everyone still pines for Camelot, and it wasn't real. None of it. 

People keeping things private, the media leaving people's private lives alone, good. 

People believing in a fairy tale that wasn't real is what I have no stomach for. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Sooner

I agree that today, everything out in the public is just not like the dignity of days gone by.

I think we could use a lot more of that and the way Jackie maintained such grace in the White House especially. 

The thing I can't stand, is how everyone still pines for Camelot, and it wasn't real. None of it. 

People keeping things private, the media leaving people's private lives alone, good. 

People believing in a fairy tale that wasn't real is what I have no stomach for. 

@Mominohio  Sometimes fairy tales are better.  Sometimes perfection is unattainable.  I think there is a lot of ugliness and a lot of beauty in all of us, so I would be hard pressed to decide what "should have" means sometimes.

I am not sure that making the choice to focus on the positive is always  believing in a fairy tale.  And what is the point in going back to focus on the negatives and faults that we had nothing to do with? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Soonersome people find it impossible to think good thoughts, or have nice memories of anyone they decide they wont/don't like

I was castigated and accused of all sorts of things, for posting about A wrinkle in Time because ,they figured I was up to who knows what ?

I refuse to have people tell me who I can like, or who I should have warm memories about

Some people just can't wait to throw in something nasty about anyone here who they don't agree with politically

I never pick my friends over political viewpoints ,or religious ones ,either

I will like whom ever it pleases me ,to like

Those pictures were a flashback in my life and others too, to a happier time,  in this nation, when people actually had more generosity of spirit, about those they disagreed with

Thanks for being you @Sooner

For those that enjoyed the photos, I am glad they brought you joy