Trusted Contributor

Re: stores ...soon goodbye to many I think

@Snoopp  Even though the city has been on a steady decline in the number of cases and deaths we are still not out of the woods. There are a tremendous number of commuters from Staten Island into the other boroughs.  If Staten Island has looser restrictions that could cause a devastating spike in the number of cases in the entire city which would result in even tighter restrictions again.  I hear what you're saying about people from other regions who travel in and out of NYC but you have to draw the boundary line somewhere.  Staten Island is one of the 5 boroughs and therefore part of the city and having a uniform re-opening is what makes sense IMO for the greater good of their city.  

If Staten Islanders have a little more patience and if the entire city can continue to make the progress it has been making -- and it will ONLY IF people are patient and do the right thing -- the entire city could very well go to Phase 1 re-opening in early June. I really don't think that's asking too much.

An awful lot of people do not see this as "trampling on one's rights."  Psychologists have characterized people who think that way but I'm not going to get into that here.  Why do you think smoking laws were put into effect?  Because smokers affect everyone else's health. It was not viewed as taking away smoker's rights. Same thing here.  You have to make sacrifices for the greater good.  That's what public health is all about.  So much sacrifice has been made over the past 2+ months and IMO the payoff will be great if we can all just hang in a little bit longer.

It isn't forever.

P.S.  You still didn't say if you live in NYC.  Do you?

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

@Dereeif that was a veiled personal attack I will ignore it.  Let's say we disagree on this matter and leave it at that.  

Trusted Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@Dereeif that was a veiled personal attack I will ignore it.  Let's say we disagree on this matter and leave it at that.  

@Snoopp  I don't know what you're reading into my reply.  I sincerely did not mean anything as a personal attack.  Yes I guess we disagree.  No problems.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DereeFYI your characterization of people who might lean toward protection of civil rights and how psychologists characterize those people.  

Have a nice day.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snoopp wrote:

@DereeFYI your characterization of people who might lean toward protection of civil rights and how psychologists characterize those people.  

Have a nice day.

@Snoopp   That is NOT me characterizing you -- you are assigning a different meaning to what I wrote to make it sound like that is MY characterization.  I am interested in human behavior.  And I read quite a few articles about why people are so stubborn and have become so belligerent about not complying with health guidelines.  Articles.  I did not write the articles.

Respected Contributor

They should be ashamed for charging so much. Glad the stores here aren't price gouging.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dereemy post had nothing to do with people acting belligerent so I fail to see why you brought that up.

What I was getting at but didn't explicitly say is that emergency powers are limited.  After that "limited" period, it could be argued it becomes a legislative matter.  You need a reasonable basis in fact and law for continuing a shutdown.  The state doesn't get unfettered police powers.

Honored Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

Many stores and malls were in trouble before the pandemic.  Online shopping will continue to be the wave of the future, even more so now.  Most brick and mortar retailers already have an online presence anyway and would probably be able to cut costs tremendously by eliminating their physical stores.  There could be a new type of service for those who need help shopping for retail items online.

I feel the same way.  Everything form clothes to food and everything in between is online.  I depend on Amazon for a delivery (which is obviously slower then before) but I know it will arrive.  I purchas clothing online.  Have not been to a mall (before the pandemic) in over a year.  Home delivery was god send to me in getting food.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snoopp wrote:

@Dereemy post had nothing to do with people acting belligerent so I fail to see why you brought that up.

What I was getting at but didn't explicitly say is that emergency powers are limited.  After that "limited" period, it could be argued it becomes a legislative matter.  You need a reasonable basis in fact and law for continuing a shutdown.  The state doesn't get unfettered police powers.

@Snoopp  I remember learning a long while ago that a state can mandate laws for the good of the public health.  Or something to that effect.   So I started googling. Sources are wiki Public Health Laws and NIH Public Health Strategy and Police Power of the States.

"What is the legal basis for public health in the United States?
The legal basis of public health is rooted in the population's rights to health, safety and life. As the population is the sum of its individual members, it stands for the sum (key word "sum") of the interests and rights of these individuals.  More specifically, public health police power allows the states to pass and enforce isolation and quarantine, health, and inspection laws to interrupt or prevent the spread of disease."

There's also a good article at wired dot com regarding What government can and can't do in a pandemic. 

No one is saying that the state has "unfettered police powers."  In fact my state has indeed been opening up in prudent phases (for which I am so thankful) and the city is expected to proceed by mid-June....... PROVIDED people can adhere to the guidelines and keep pushing the curve downward.  Like I said before IMO it's not too much to ask people to be a little more patient and think of the greater good rather than thinking of their individual needs.

I'm too tired to pursue this any further right now and assuming you still disagree there really is no point to discussing it further. Have to make dinner and walk the dog.  Have a nice evening. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

thanks for the info; saves me a trip!
I have been shopping online from Belk, one of my favorites...and so far, nothing I wanted has been out of stock.