Honored Contributor

Re: stores ...soon goodbye to many I think

@homedecor1 talking about prices in the supermarket - for the first time since this whole thing started Shoprite finally had Clorox - $9.99 for not quite a full gallon.  WTH!  

Honored Contributor

I was in Target last week to get some paper supples, etc. and their clothing area was very limited.  They have been open all along and I was surprised to see things in such a limited supply.  Have no other clothing stores to look in so don't know.  I hear the local Kohl's is open with limited hours but haven't been there.  I am sure many things will be different.  Different - not better!  As per usual...

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 

You might find The Big Nine an interesting read for a glimpse into the county's future.  Huge changes projected and how a few corporations are paving our destination.

Esteemed Contributor

Based on pictures out, it appears there will a group who will shop in person.  But I think there will also be sizable group who will never go again.  Changes are going to happen.  Could be that in person shops will trend younger.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

Almost every store & mall is open yet NO inventory.

Today, I had my Kohl's ca$h from before the shutdown. Kohl's also had good coupons today.  After I waited 35 minutes for my turn to go in...I went to the "summer" section -- I was going to purchase a chaise for my lanai.  I saw they were available in store from "online" -- NONE.  Nothing for summer, wreaths, decor, etc.

I headed to linen area and thought OK I'll check that out.  Shelves bare😳, headed over to bath section -- again slim pickings!

I asked the clerk where the summer things were.  She stated no additional inventory will be shipped to stores from warehouse right now or at least until the warehouse distribution centers re-open.  I asked could I extend my $30 kohl's cash...nope😡😡. (they are only giving 30 days extension from reopening).

The manager stated only stores doing well are WM and Target as they have their own warehouses.

I saw a young mother in line with cart full of kids stuff -- gave to her🙂.

Then I had a return for HomeGoods.  No one there so went right in but shelves were almost empty.  No selections like before.

JCP & Macy's oh what a wreck😳 for sure sinking ship!  The store was a mess racks of stuff marked clearance everywhere! Barely anything  in bed & home section, clothing racks everywhere -- well lots of Christmas & Spring decor 80-90% off.  

I won't be returning to stores and online has been hit or miss!  I place order with JCP, Macys and Kohl's within hours they send me  email stating "items not available your account not charged".

This is what to expect once you venture to stores.  I completely understand with nothing coming to ports from China.

@homedecor1 

Sorry you had such bad experiences....looks Ill continue to wait before I go shop in stores......Thanks for the warning...

Now I did place an order for JCP on 5/23 and I got an email my items will arrive June 3 to 5th......I guess I got lucky and my items were in stock.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1    I was flabbergasted to read your report, so much so that I copied and sent it to my sister in PA.  I think everyone has assumed the stores would re-open, be fully stocked and ready to go.  There's not much we can do to help them if there's nothing to buy.  It's an incredibly sad situation.

I no longer buy Christmas gifts but if I did, I'd be buying online right now like crazy for the season.  I can only imagine what a mess getting merchandise and getting it shipped is going to be.  If it's bad now, what's it going to be like in 6 months, especially if there's another CoVi19 outbreak?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

For the companies with an online purchase option, I think it just wasn't cost effective to keep stores open as probably most of the buying is online, I buy everything online, and now with t I can buy food also, if I choose to use this option.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Shopping centers are going to have to repurpose I'm thinking.....for the sake of the stock holders who count on those dividends to make ends meet.  Too big to fail comes to mind if one reads up and understands just how many shopping centers these major owners have accumulated/purchased over the years all over the world.....it's just mind boggling. When you see beautiful and modern shopping centers in Europe especially ones that have outdoor dining, absolutely think an American shopping center mogul owns that and most likely built it.    

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

The only stores allowed to be open in our area are big box stores.

A store like Kohl's, T.J. Maxx, Home Goods, Pier 1, Hobby Lobby and Old Navy are not allowed to be open.

I heard an interesting comment that with shutting down so many stores that they are guaranteeing that only big box stores will survive. We have no idea when things will start to open up. 

Large and small retailers are complaining and they have a point.

During the shutdown, WalMart and Target could remain open because they sold essential items. But shoppers could roam the store and purchase toys, clothing, kitchen etc. I heard an interview with an owner of 3 toy stores say she had to close her business but shoppers could purchase toys and games and puzzles at Target.

I think at some point WalMart and Target were told to rope off the non-essentials. I was not in the store so maybe they did comply.

No doubt a lot of mistakes have been made in the covid management. I think they should be given some grace for management without a roadmap of any other emergency in our history. 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

The only stores allowed to be open in our area are big box stores.

A store like Kohl's, T.J. Maxx, Home Goods, Pier 1, Hobby Lobby and Old Navy are not allowed to be open.

I heard an interesting comment that with shutting down so many stores that they are guaranteeing that only big box stores will survive. We have no idea when things will start to open up. 

@drizzellla    We have Hobby Lobby Stores all over New Mexico and they've all been closed.  The local sheriff in Roswell (who must be an alien) decided that they could open because  "they're just like Home Depot".  I chuckled and wondered if he'd ever even been in Hobby Lobby.  Doubtful at best.

This was on the news one evening.  The next morning the state police served the HL manager with a Cease and Desist Order and they closed.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment