Honored Contributor

stores ...soon goodbye to many I think

Almost every store & mall is open yet NO inventory.

Today, I had my Kohl's ca$h from before the shutdown. Kohl's also had good coupons today.  After I waited 35 minutes for my turn to go in...I went to the "summer" section -- I was going to purchase a chaise for my lanai.  I saw they were available in store from "online" -- NONE.  Nothing for summer, wreaths, decor, etc.

I headed to linen area and thought OK I'll check that out.  Shelves bare😳, headed over to bath section -- again slim pickings!

I asked the clerk where the summer things were.  She stated no additional inventory will be shipped to stores from warehouse right now or at least until the warehouse distribution centers re-open.  I asked could I extend my $30 kohl's cash...nope😡😡. (they are only giving 30 days extension from reopening).

The manager stated only stores doing well are WM and Target as they have their own warehouses.

I saw a young mother in line with cart full of kids stuff -- gave to her🙂.

Then I had a return for HomeGoods.  No one there so went right in but shelves were almost empty.  No selections like before.

JCP & Macy's oh what a wreck😳 for sure sinking ship!  The store was a mess racks of stuff marked clearance everywhere! Barely anything  in bed & home section, clothing racks everywhere -- well lots of Christmas & Spring decor 80-90% off.  

I won't be returning to stores and online has been hit or miss!  I place order with JCP, Macys and Kohl's within hours they send me  email stating "items not available your account not charged".

This is what to expect once you venture to stores.  I completely understand with nothing coming to ports from China.

Honored Contributor

Re: stores ...soon goodbye to many I think

crying shame............

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't know.  Malls are not open in New Mexico.  They will open June 1.  Stores opened last week but you MUST wear a mask and they only let so many people in at a time.  

Super Contributor

I constantly pray our economy recovers.

Trusted Contributor

I was in HomeGoods yesterday too and the shelves were almost empty.  

Cashier said that the HomeGoods, TJMaxx, Marshall's warehouses have all been shut down and they have not received any shipment since before the stores had to close.  

Said customers are buying but there are no shipments to restock the shelves.  Hopefully in a couple weeks they expect to receive merchandise.  

Honored Contributor

Life will be very very different from now on I believe.  I have stopped thinking about what I can throw away and am thinking about using things I have.

I am rearranging things to keep more food and necessary supplies on hand than before.  I may not be able to dash to a store and find what I want.

I am thinking I will be wearing clothes longer; using makeup less; and not having friends over and people drop by as before.  

And then it will be what I make of that and how I go forward, not look backward, and focus on the positives I have. 

Respected Contributor

As a shopper of a certain age, I really do have everything I need in life (except food).

Any purchases I now make are basically WANTS.

It will take a while for everything to get back to normal, so I can be patient.

We are still closed down tight in Philly, so no need to try to make it to any stores.

Good health for all is the priority.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last time I was in an indoor mall was at least a year ago; maybe longer.  Heavily packed with shoppers, kids, teens, etc.

Anyway, we haven't returned mainly because the mix of scents of either fragrances and/or people's scented clothing was overpowering.

DH had asthma as a child, and, at this beautiful indoor mall, he began  coughing, even though very slightly, and also clearing his throat.

Our eyes were tearing.

So, I'm only thinking that if all of those scents/odors are heavily circulating in indoor malls, what about a virus?  Viruses travel on pathogens, and I'm only guessing that if odors (molecules) circulate, so can viruses.

Well, just guessing.  I'm no expert, that is clear. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

So true for once I honestly can say after having a 6 week break from being able to run to a dept store -- I realize I don't need much.

I was returning kids clothes I bought to mail as bday & christening presents.  When I went to PO to mail the cost was almost as much as the items I was shipping 😳🤔.  I ordered online and took longer but they received and free shipping🙂

HomeGoods I had purchased some kitchen canisters  and the one canister was chipped.  Of course, they didn't have a replacement. 

I found out Marshalls sells the same things from clerk.  She explained I could most likely find there & the "overstock" from Marshall's will not be coming to HomeGoods as there isn't any.

I am sad to see Pier 1 put the permanently closed sign on the door.  Last week said "temporarily closed due to COVID".  

Like you I'm keeping things now that normally I would have sold/donated.

I think more of us will be doing less in home entertaining in the coming months.  

What I am shocked is the price of food!  Not jumping pennies but dollars...meats are ridiculous.  Even egg are up to 4.20/dozen I can't recall this in years.  BOGOs long gone...

I am debating whether to fill my freezer again.  We finally ate almost everything in it except for 4 pork chops, 3 boneless chicken breasts, 2 containers of eggplant rolatini, 1 pkg hot dogs. No frozen veg left. Fresh Fruits and veggies are higher too.

Respected Contributor

Many stores and malls were in trouble before the pandemic.  Online shopping will continue to be the wave of the future, even more so now.  Most brick and mortar retailers already have an online presence anyway and would probably be able to cut costs tremendously by eliminating their physical stores.  There could be a new type of service for those who need help shopping for retail items online.