Esteemed Contributor

I buy fried chicken from Jewel and Meijer.  I've never had that happen. ICK

Honored Contributor

it will take a lot more than a few feathers to scare me away from a piece of good fried chicken! LOL Smiley LOL

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@croemer wrote:

Yuck...that is like finding a hair in your food. As soon as I see that its over... can't eat it.

a hair in your food, is a foreign object to the food. a feather is not.  apple and a orange.

Respected Contributor

@bikerbabe  i was on medication a couple of years ago. the smell of the fried chicken in the deli dept. could drop me to my knees.  

Honored Contributor

I was in Mexico last year with a church group. They served us box lunches to eat on the bus so we could get to a concert venue on time....the boxes were from Pollo Frio Kentucky....two chicken legs in my box...each with the foot still attached....I think just a feather is unappetizing but not unsanitary...

Honored Contributor

@CAMOGIRL wrote:

The only grocery store I have ever had good fried chicken from was from Albertson’s in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Totally yummy, that has been a few years though last time I had it. Tender, juicy, crispy - excellent,

After having that I decided to try it at two different close by Albertson’s in Houston where I lived at the time.  NOT the same at all .... go figure ...

I don’t care for any of the chicken places anymore. Used to like  KFC, but now, no.

And, all the grocery stores around here - well frankly, their chicken sucks.

Never had any feather issues though...

Frying is messy, but you can’t beat homemade!

@CAMOGIRL.  I'm not impressed by the fried chicken at my local  Albertson's in the Albuquerque area either.  Got some two weeks ago and it was over-cooked and very dry.  I love their deli potato salad.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@lovesrecess I would have Yelled out, Yo Quiero Taco Bell Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Re: store fried chicken

[ Edited ]

That wouldn't have bothered me at all.  It's part of a chicken, and not an unappetizing part.  At least not IMO.

But if I was upset by something re food, there's no way I would go back and buy more from the same place.  Once I'm put off by something, that's the end of it.  I would never feel confident buying it there again.

I'm with those who have said it's much ado about nothing.  I certainly wouldn't be all up in arms and calling the Health Dept.

Respected Contributor

Guess you never lived on a farm & killed your own chickens. It is hard to pluck all those feathers & not miss one.

Regular Contributor

I read last week, that they are sold whole chickiens by a distributor that are past the sold-by date for the purpose of selling fried chicken parts or a whole roaster. How far past that date are they even safe; and is the temp they are kept at enough to prevent bacteria?

The reason these are cheaper than buying a fresh chicken is the same. GROSSED me out!