Honored Contributor

Re: speaking of english muffins.....

@GingerPeach wrote:

@sunshine45

No, but I bet @susiQ_2 and I would eat them if you mailed us some!

They look quite amazing. 

Actually, on second thought, I may go to St. Helena one day this season, so maybe I'll mail some to you!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I meant to ask you, @sunshine45, how did you find the bakery?

Do you get to the wine country often, or even live there?  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@GingerPeach

no, i have never been to the wine country!!!! i do go back and forth often between maryland and southern california for work so i could get there sometime. will do it one of these days. i happened to like chef michael chiarello and he mentioned that this was one of his favorite bakeries. i dont remember if one of his restaurants is near this area or not. THEN after hearing him talk about it i saw THE MODEL BAKERY featured on a food show. they were showing how they were known especially for their english muffins. they showed the process also. after that, i was hooked. LOL

i know i can order them online, but their shipping fees are unbelievably high. i was so ready to order some for the holidays, but those fees just stopped me.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

If I do get up there (it's a couple of hours from where I live), I will eat one and report back!   Thanks for the find.

I like Michael Chiarello, too.  I've eaten at his (former) restaurant Tra Vigne (also in St. Helena).  Wonderful!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Has anyone else noticed how Thomas's English Muffins keep shrinking? DH use to like them but they got so darn small they won't come out of the toaster without a fork to help. Then they started making the "large" ones that were the size of the original ones to begin with. Me and DH are mad at "Thomas" and won't buy his muffins no mo'! 

Esteemed Contributor

Yum.  Must be fabulous in person, those muffins.

@silkyk, yes - those darned Thomas English muffins have become very expensive and small.  My local grocer used to have an in-house brand that was good (Wegmans) but they discontinued the product.  I have found some decent ones at Food Lion called "Old Tyme" and they are reasonably priced, and husband likes them.  1/2 the price of Thomas.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

we have a couple of grocery stores that sell the wolfermans brand of muffins......they are very good if you want something different than the thomas brand. also look for the brand bays.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@GingerPeach

no, i have never been to the wine country!!!! i do go back and forth often between maryland and southern california for work so i could get there sometime. will do it one of these days. i happened to like chef michael chiarello and he mentioned that this was one of his favorite bakeries. i dont remember if one of his restaurants is near this area or not. THEN after hearing him talk about it i saw THE MODEL BAKERY featured on a food show. they were showing how they were known especially for their english muffins. they showed the process also. after that, i was hooked. LOL

i know i can order them online, but their shipping fees are unbelievably high. i was so ready to order some for the holidays, but those fees just stopped me.

I was just going to reply that the english muffins were picked by Michael Chiarello for an episode of the BEst Thing I Ever Ater.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK