Honored Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: something to think about Next time you purchase Avocados

FYI.............

Mexican avocados are INFERIOR to California. They have black spots inside, so you waste half the avocado cutting out these spots. Also, the taste in INFERIOR to California. I realize California avocados aren't in season, but I won't waste $ on Mexican ones & I love, love, love avocados and eat them all the time.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I only purchase California Haas Avocados.   Can't get them all the time, so I don't have them all the time.    These are the absolute best, by far.

Esteemed Contributor

@ahoymate :  I agree that California avocados are best (also expensive)but there is nothing wrong with Mexican avocados, no black spots!  Just because something comes from Mexico, or China, doesn't make it intrinsically bad.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Patbz: This is my experience buying Mexican avocados. I buy avocados all the time, and have found that the Mexican avocados are not good. This has nothing to do with Mexico or China. I buy Mexican limes, and other produce grown in Mexico,  but not their avos.

If you have had great experience with buying Mexican avocados, good for you. Not my experience.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

8E4BDCB8-3BE2-4047-AB0E-C2F6A9FFAF64.jpegChoquette from Florida is on the left.

There’s been a lot of articles, news reports and documentaries highlighting the avocado crime and cartels in Michoacán, Mexico. I recently watched one of documentaries on Netflix.  The crimes are a sad result of the market for avocados. The small Haas avocados are my favorite and I’ve eaten them for years. They are so creamy because of their high fat content. I wish this cultivar would do well here in Florida but the larger, brighter green variety is what we have the best luck with. The pulp of the Florida avocado, Choquette is not as creamy as the Haas variety of avocado or the California Fuerte. I’ve grown Fuerte and Haas in California, and they were good. For now, I’m going be selfish and ignore the problem in Mexico and buy Haas in the grocery store. If my conscience gets the better of me I’ll stop buying them.

The Mexican avocado documentary on Netflix; Show name is called “Rotten”.   Season 2, Episode 1. ”The Avocado War”

6FBA335C-D803-45A3-9BB5-C7148B3B6858.jpeg