Respected Contributor

Re: someone stole our son's SSN to use on their taxes!!!

Where I live the life lock commercial running says you can get a free 60 day trial.
Respected Contributor

This stuff is just beyond tiring.
Super Contributor

On 1/31/2015 lovescats said: Where I live the life lock commercial running says you can get a free 60 day trial.
Life Lock has terrible feedback.....google it and see.
Super Contributor

On 1/30/2015 SStar said: Keep in mind, your sons SS # may already be on someone else's return due to input error by the tax preparer. After all, it only takes one digit to create a mess. I'm sure it will all work out in the end. Try not to worry.

I was thinking the same thing. Still a mess to straighten out. I worry about this all the time.

Respected Contributor

here's the link to federal trade commission for placing a fraud alert and reporting id theft. I just wouldn't wait for someone to tell you the wrong number was typed in.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0275-place-fraud-alert

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0277-create-identity-theft-report

Respected Contributor

On 1/30/2015 nunya said:

It could be a mistake.

Last year my daughter was supposed to get around a $100 refund, they sent a letter saying it should be $250. They direct deposited the money in her account. Fast forward to Dec of this year, she got a letter saying they were wrong and they wanted their money back.

My parents had something similar happen and they tried to notify the IRS that they made a mistake giving them a larger refund. IRS said they were right.

Fast forward a few months and IRS wanted not only the excess refund returned, they also wanted additional *interest* paid on the amount. They refused to listen again when my parents complained about the interest charge.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Contributor

This happened to my husband & I three years ago. Our CPA sent our return in electronically and it came back as already having been filed. We had to send the paper copy in. Shortly after, we received a letter from the IRS that we had been victims of identity theft, and someone had filed false taxes with my husband's SS#. We did get our refund, almost a year later. Now, every year the IRS sends us a PIN# to use when filing, that tells them we are the legitimate filers. Thankfully, none of our other financials were hacked (credit cards or bank accounts).

Valued Contributor

It could be they mis-read the number or the person wrote it wrong.

Super Contributor

On 1/31/2015 lovescats said:

here's the link to federal trade commission for placing a fraud alert and reporting id theft. I just wouldn't wait for someone to tell you the wrong number was typed in.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0275-place-fraud-alert

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0277-create-identity-theft-report

i tried the first site last night - because he is not 18 they would not allow an alert to be created. got the error message ""you must be 18 years old to use this system""

Super Contributor

On 1/31/2015 TaxyLady said:

It could be they mis-read the number or the person wrote it wrong.

that is what we are hoping but we still will have to go through the long process to get it all worked out.