Honored Contributor

Re: social media and puerto rico

[ Edited ]

@fordtruck wrote:

I don't understand why they don't just relocate to the mainland. It certainly is within their right.  Young and old, sick and healthy, they need to be here safe with electricity, water and food.  

@puttypiesmom

Nearly 50 days after Hurricane Maria, FEMA confirms that, for the first time ever, it will airlift Puerto Ricans impacted by the storm to either Florida or New York, David Begnaud reports: cbsn.ws/2zomtAz

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

The US Virgin Islands, especially St. John and St. Thomas, are in the same predicament as Puerto Rico.  They are completely ignored by most media outlets.  The individuals living there are citizens of the USA and they, too, deserve support and funding.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

So sad the US citizens of Puerto Rico are STILL struggling without clean water and electricity. The media has mostly moved on with other news and it's left up to social media to get the word out and tell the stories, so people there aren't forgotten.

Esteemed Contributor

Last Sunday, 60 Minutes devoted half their show to the devastation in P.R.  They went just about everywhere and spoke to a lot of people.  Incredible story.  They really showed things I never saw on any news channel.

Sonny Hostin's  "review" on The View, didn't come close.  I think it was more about Sonny than it was about P.R.  She supposedly has relatives living there.  How come she didn't visit them???   She went to the same sites that 60 Minutes did.  I wondered if maybe she went along with them and just did her own story.   JMO

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it could be considered political

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sophiamarie wrote:

Last Sunday, 60 Minutes devoted half their show to the devastation in P.R.  They went just about everywhere and spoke to a lot of people.  Incredible story.  They really showed things I never saw on any news channel.

Sonny Hostin's  "review" on The View, didn't come close.  I think it was more about Sonny than it was about P.R.  She supposedly has relatives living there.  How come she didn't visit them???   She went to the same sites that 60 Minutes did.  I wondered if maybe she went along with them and just did her own story.   JMO

@sophiamarie

how do you know she didnt visit them?

i thought she did an excellent job. showing the devastation, the anguish, and the ingenuity of the people. it isnt a competition. i am sure 60 minutes did a fine job also. there can never be too much information coming out of puerto rico. i am appreciative of all of the information i have heard about online, via tv, and via social media outlets.

Puerto Rican authorities estimate there was $45 billion to $95 billion in damages to the power grid and other infrastructure. Congress has approved just $5 billion in aid so far. 

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Regular Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@sophiamarie wrote:

@sophiamarie

how do you know she didnt visit them?

i thought she did an excellent job. showing the devastation, the anguish, and the ingenuity of the people. it isnt a competition. i am sure 60 minutes did a fine job also. there can never be too much information coming out of puerto rico. i am appreciative of all of the information i have heard about online, via tv, and via social media outlets.

Puerto Rican authorities estimate there was $45 billion to $95 billion in damages to the power grid and other infrastructure. Congress has approved just $5 billion in aid so far. 

Good thing we have journalists giving us the true info.  Otherwise, we'd think PR is a-ok and the US response deserves an A rating. Bald faced lie. Not sure the $5 billion approved is aid or low interest loans.

Those poor US citizens. We moved into Haiti to help out immediately, but leave US citizens to die of water born illnesses. Sad.

Honored Contributor

an update from #chefsforpuertorico and @chefjoseandres

two days ago #chefsforpuertorico served its 3 millionth fresh meal!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

This entire PR situation is uncalled for and not acceptable. We KNOW they are a Island...we know they are surrounded by water..lots of water..big body of water..yup we know..so do they...we are a BIG country with BIG aircraft and BIG ships..we can do WAY MORE with these BIG items than we have.

It is a shame that we treat our own citizens this way. Literally like 3rd World Countries do..we treated people we bomb better than this..we bomb and drop supplies on them..oh wait..sorry..we did drop some paper towels. My bad.

Honored Contributor

i completely agree @CouponQueen.

the US has definitely dropped the ball......and it is shameful.