Respected Contributor

so had 3 teeth #5 pockets went to peridonist now stitches

had 3 teeth he lanced the gums got into the root cleaned it all out have stitches in those teeth liquid diet for 3=4 days graduated to soft food. Tues. going in to get the stitches out (no pain) today at 6pm got the recorded call they are shut down what? I am fed up so how long is stitches being in my mouth? just confused. They said once they are back they will redo appt. guess I got these stitches in my mouth til virus is over. Well I am going to eat real food now. I will call Monday (guess no one is there) leave a message & see but going threw this stuff was bad with only soft food now no appt. these stitches have no idea how long it will be in my mouth. I am calling hope we can get someone to remove them. maybe they have appts. to adjust. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: so had 3 teeth #5 pockets went to peridonist now stitches

@sissel ...I can understand why your dentist has shut down temporarily, however, not finishing what he started is not good.  He or one of his staff should contact patients like yourself and make arrangements to remove the stitches.  I hope someone answers the phone when you call, but if not, I'm sure you will leave a message to get the situation straightened out.  Good luck.  Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

I am going to call monday & hope I get a live person really just a 15min take stitches out see if I can get in for a quick visit. I went threw 3 weeks of this soft eating just done, maybe they do have some type of help in there. There is always an emergency number will try that but it was not a good time to eat soft food let me find some food. Understand with the virus everyone is scared. 

Trusted Contributor

@sissel wrote:

had 3 teeth he lanced the gums got into the root cleaned it all out have stitches in those teeth liquid diet for 3=4 days graduated to soft food. Tues. going in to get the stitches out (no pain) today at 6pm got the recorded call they are shut down what? I am fed up so how long is stitches being in my mouth? just confused. They said once they are back they will redo appt. guess I got these stitches in my mouth til virus is over. Well I am going to eat real food now. I will call Monday (guess no one is there) leave a message & see but going threw this stuff was bad with only soft food now no appt. these stitches have no idea how long it will be in my mouth. I am calling hope we can get someone to remove them. maybe they have appts. to adjust. 

I understand their concern over this virus, esp. since they work so closely, but, they wear masks and gloves and some wear eyewear. I think they should remain open for emergencys and thinks like what you need. If our hospital workers are able to be there, dentists should be on call for things like this. 

Respected Contributor

@sissel  Last Monday, our dentist closed her office for 2 weeks in compliance with the Virginia Dental Association's recommendation. She will, however, come in for emergencies and provided her cell phone number so patients could text her in an emergency. Do you have the periodontist's cell phone number? Do you have it on your phone log (if they called after the procedure to check on you)? If not, do they have a website with contact info in case of emergency? Even if they don't consider your situation to be an emergency, they might be able to see you if they know they're going to be there for another patient. In the end, you may just have to grin and bear it, but it never hurts to ask. 

Esteemed Contributor

My dental office sent out notices of what they will and won't do. Routine dentistry is cancelled until a later date. They are available to consult on the phone for some issues, and have a small team who will deal with emergencies. They determine whether it's an emergency or not. I don't blame them. By the nature of the profession, there is splashed water based liquid involved, blood, etc. There are many surfaces that surround the chair, the equipment, etc. This is an unknown right now. Last night they reported a doctor who has the virus now, and he has been treating patients while wearing a haz mat medical suit. Quite frankly, I cancelled my teeth cleaning appointment before I ever got the message as I didn't think I wanted to be in that environment during this crisis.

Trusted Contributor

My son is a dentist. His state regulatory group has ordered all dental offices closed for routine appointments.  He can take patients for problems that are causing great pain and I am sure that to finish something started would be included. Please call back, speak to a person and explain. My son has greatly limited his hours/days, so you may have to try a couple of days. 

Hope it is not bothering you too much.

Respected Contributor

I am calling tomorrow explain and also have his cell # I am in no pain at all just want the stitches out afraid my gums will grow over the stitches. Find out more tomorrow.