Respected Contributor

smart watch/fitness tracker accuracy....which is best?

I bought the one on HSN TSV Letsfit and I realize it was a cheaper one.  At first I loved it and the second day I worked at it and got 10,000 steps according to the watch.  I did not believe that a 71 year old, overweight and out of shape senior was able to achieve that in two days. So I started investigating and 10,000 steps is about 5 miles and the tracker said I walked 2.7 miles.  Online it said it went by arm movements so I sat on the couch and waved my arms over my head and it counted it as steps.  It appears that it is not just this watch but a lot of them are like that.  For me if not accurate what is the point.  I could just guess myself.  Also if one thing is not accurate how do I know that the rest is.  Also the sleep part said I got almost 9 hours of sleep...I wish....I lie in bed watching TV so I think it counted that as sleep.  Anyone know of one that is accurate.  Even the Apple seems to have some problems.

Honored Contributor

Re: smart watch/fitness tracker accuracy....which is best?

I just purchased the Amazon Halo View and I haven't gotten any outrageous readings in the month I have had it. It does track steps but it actually judges you on whether or not you get 120 active minutes a week in.

Careful about being a couch potato in between because it will dock a point or more if you take a walk but then lie around for the rest of the day. 

Comes with an exercise library and nutrition recipes too along with mindfulness practices and sleep programs if you want/need them. Highly recommend so far. 

Respected Contributor

@chiclet I have had various trackers through the years: the "original" fitbit, a more advanced (and expensive) fitbit, an inexpensive tracker from Amazon and now an Apple watch.  My favorites have been the inexpensive one from Amazon and my Apple watch.  The fitbits were fine while they were working but they didn't last long.  The inexpensive watch from Amazon was a good watch. It even recorded my blood pressure.  I upgraded to the Apple (which I got on a great sale online sale).  I like it a lot.  It records my heart beats per minute, my blood oxygen numbers and it syncs up with my Echelon bike workouts, treadmill workouts and outside workouts. I have an iphone and it syncs up with the Health app on that and records all of my "data".  I have noticed that the Apple watch is much more precise in the way it measures steps and number of times I go up or down the stairs.  It is on the stingy side - no free lunch here!  I have never used the sleep options - not always the greatest sleeper - I don't need to know that - I already do!  HTH

Honored Contributor

The FitBit I purchased did that except it was counting my leg movements when I was sitting.  Back it went.  

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet 

My suggestions have remained the same over many years when it comes to any Cardio type training, regardless of one's purpose, or goals.

Forget steps/yards/miles, and so on. The main indicator of cardio progress is neither distance in steps or yards or miles. It is far easier/a better indicator, and one does not need to buy any specific exercise devices. If you want this kind of feedback, fine. But many times it is deceptive and/or confusing for some.

If you have a watch of some type, carry it or put in on your wrist. Go as far as you think is plausible for what you feel, or know, is your present overall fitness level. Unless you are walking on a track, make sure the distance you covered going 1 way, is only half of your trip.

First, stop and check your Heart Rate. Next check your watch and see the amount of time you have walked. Each day you go out measure what you do by amount of time, not distance by steps/feet/meters/yards or miles. Time and Heart Rate will give you more, and better answer than any other device you can buy.

Walk 10-15-20-30 minutes or more. Check your Heart Rate and monitor how you feel. Forget all the unnecessary information that means very little, other than being a number representing nothing important. Your time spent and monitoring your Heart Rate are the key.

As always, make sure your doctor gives you the ok, before starting anything if it is new.

Consistency is also one of the major factors for success regardless of ones reasons or goals in this regard.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

For me it is about motivation and looking at the steps on the watch was like a game I was trying to win and each day improving my score.  I don't do well with consistency.  It takes very little for me to just drop on the couch and start watching TV.  The watch gave me incentive but if inaccurate it is useless.  

Honored Contributor

I have a Fitbit Versa 3 watch. I LOVE it! It's extremely accurate! All I really care about is the miles I put on daily, so I've customized to tell me that. Heart

"Pure Michigan"