Respected Contributor

Re: shout out to store clerks, cashiers!!!

I have personally thanked the butcher lady at Meijer....told her she has a very hard job!  She looked so surprised anyone said that to her and thanked me for saying so.  I have always felt that way from that area to the lunchmeat area to the stocking of goods and so on.  They are not glamours jobs....but they are hard working folks for sure and deserve to be talked to and thanked for doing a good job.  Just hearing people yelling at someone who is hard at work makes me so mad.  I had a cashier practically in tears telling me how nice I was to her as the man prior was screaming at her for putting his bacon in with some other item!!  Good grief....people and food can be a nasty combination.  

I used to work in food service....had people explode at you and literally throw buckets of chicken (incoming) over the counter against the wall back in the day.  Lines out the door and we couldn't cook it fast enough to keep up with demand.  Not one person was kind to me or anyone working there....we were swamped.  I know people get angry when hungry...and once that job was behind me I never wanted to work in any kind of food service area as long as I lived LOL!  All 3 of my son's did and had the same experience....but then there were a few really nice older ladies that even bought my one son at hat to keep his head warm (he lost his hair) they were concerned about him as he had to work outside and it was really cold that day LOL!  He was blown away at this lady's thoughtfulness.  

Be kind people....even if someone sneezes....it could be allergy's...don't flip out.

Respected Contributor

@ tsafavorite

If I could give you a few hearts I would. Thoughtfulness and respect goes long way.
Honored Contributor

Like @tsavorite said, it's allergy season in some parts of the country now. If there are stampedes over someone sneezing this is going to get ridiculous.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1,  I so appreciate your kind concern for these vital front-line people, trying to do a job.  You are a sympathetic observer.

@jellyBEAN,  your comments are worth gold.  In the past, during disasters and emergencies of all kinds, good has come out of it in terms of recognition of our common humanity and desire to pull together.   That is not to deny that tragedy happens, but our reactions can be of the "make or break" variety.

I wish your post could be emblazoned where it could inspire every day.

Honored Contributor

If you have an extra hand sanitizer or if you've made your own, why not give a small bottle of it to your favorite clerk? They're the ones who need extra. You could be saving yourself down the line by helping cut off this vector for the disease. Your postal worker as well.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

I did an online order at a family owned store and picked it up this am. I live outside the delivery area and they don't have curbside pick-up. You get your order at the service desk.

I didn't do it online because of the virus thing, I just hate going to the store  It was a zoo of course. The women at the service desk looked frazzled.  The store looked well stocked and the girl checking people out wore gloves and wiped the keypad on the debit/cc machine down after each customer.  I hope no one gave them a hard time. I felt bad for them.

I worked in a restaurant for 8 very long years. I would starve before I'd do it again.  I think everyone should work for a few months in any service industry.  It might make the nasty jerks treat people better.

Honored Contributor

The last couple of weeks as I've been in the grocery especially, I've thought about those working, stocking and cashiering. They are kind of on the front lines of this, as people need to have access to the goods. 

They usually aren't overly well paid, they often don't have the best of benefits, and they have really been kind, efficient and real troopers keeping up with all this. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was in a CVS store last night and had the most pleasant experience.  The cashier that was working was not only friendly but also funny.  She just had one of those "warm personalities" that shined.  She asked me if I was shopping for supplies and I said yes, that I just needed one more thing.  She said she was asking everyone that came in what they were doing and how the roads were and grocery stores.  She told me she was on most of the day and I told her I admired her as I had worked retail in the past and knew what it was like around the holidays but this most be worse.  She said she actually enjoyed being there and  was trying to ease customers that came in and those that looked anxious. She said she liked working in retail and that this was just something she needed to do with all this going on.  She also showed me a bunch of items they were keeping behind the registers on the shelf that  said one per customer emergency products in case someone needed soap or shampoo so they had it to give to them to purchase. What a pleasant shopping experence with such a caring person

Regular Contributor

I strongly disagree~ mu husband works in a bakery and they most definitely would NOT have put them back on the shelf for sale.  They would have been tossed in the garbage.