Honored Contributor

Re: sent out 16 cards got 6 back

So, it's a competition for some?  I guess I don't understand that.   I just send the cards that I send and, TBH, that's not very many.  As far as christmas, at this point, I send one - to my father.  

I just can't really do more than that, due to the cost and partially due to the fact that I'm really not into holidays.    I have to be in the 'saving' mode these years, as I'm the only one doing it.   I shudder to think of a time when we don't have enough to live and just hope I can save enough between now and whenever 'then' is, to be ok.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

There could be cards still in the mail. I got a text from someone in Chicago saying my card arrived January 2 - the postmark from Milwaukee was December 10. It took over twenty days to travel 90 miles!

@AuntG 

That's why they call it "snail mail".  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sissel 

When I read the title I thought "oh no, undeliverable" or perhaps some of your recipients had "passed"  ... 

then I read your post.

This year was a banner year for Christmas cards for me although I've always received alot -- surprisingly, I know most send after they receive one from me BUT this year cards arrived right after Thanksgiving.

Most had a nice note and some even had "insprirational" thoughts.

I was thrilled as I love cards and and most were not just generic.

I wonder if this had something to do with not only friends wanting to connect during the pandemic or the fact spouse has been sick this entire year and a nice way to say hello from far away.  Either way, I certainly enjoy getting cards for any occassion!  

I am a card sender - I stock up for all occassions, including thank you cards and rarely miss a bday or special occasion for special people in my life.

I also enjoy writing them - I miss those days of letter writing!

Happy New Year!

Trusted Contributor

We were feeling lethargic and didn't send out a single one.  I'm sure our relatives are wondering if we are still alive since we don't use social media. 

Contributor

For the last three years , I crafted my own Christmas cards.  I make about 20 .  It is something I enjoy doing, especially this year.  I received about a handful of cards in return.  I don't mind because I figure if I brightened someone's day and holiday, then it is all good.   I also handmake the birthday and other holiday cards.  

Respected Contributor

@Zukie wrote:

For the last three years , I crafted my own Christmas cards.  I make about 20 .  It is something I enjoy doing, especially this year.  I received about a handful of cards in return.  I don't mind because I figure if I brightened someone's day and holiday, then it is all good.   I also handmake the birthday and other holiday cards.  

That's a truly lovely thing to do.

Honored Contributor

i have not sent out cards in about ten years. i found that calling people is much better and more personal......especially those who are far away. i enjoy hearing their voices and catching up, which a card cannot do easily. it seems to be greatly appreciated, especially by those in our family that are older and feel a bit more isolated. i try to make the calls during the month of december and through january. with the way the postal service is these days, i would not be surprised if many cards got lost in the mail and never delivered.

we received 22 cards this year (not counting thanksgiving cards.) i was surprised we got that many.

hope you all had a wonderful holiday season. i will have my decorations up through the middle of the month and i am still playing christmas music.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I have never counted how many cards I  send nor how many I received. It doesn't matter at all. Do you folks who keep count do that for gifts too? 

@Pearlee 

my cards become decorations as i receive them. they are hanging on louvered doors that lead into my family room from the front hallway. it was easy to go and count them to respond to this thread.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Most of my greetings are online in some way.... Facebook, Messenger, etc.  I am fine with it.  Our mail service is not working... I am being polite... I send out some cards but those have gifts inside as in gift cards.  Otherwise I don't send out cards anymore.  If someone sends me one I respond online if I can.  

Esteemed Contributor

I think sending Christmas cards is becoming extinct.  Too bad.  I enjoy sending cards.  Even tho I don't appreciate the long xeroxed Christmas letters, I always write a short note inside every card I send.  

I don't "do" social media.  The world is changing, but I'm not changing with it.  I guess.  I want the personal touch of a handwritten note and a snail-mail paper card.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt