Honored Contributor

Re: sent out 16 cards got 6 back

@sissel 

If you like doing it, drop the numbers sent versus those received. Just like gifts given because of many reasons, 1 reason is not because to expect 1 in return. 

That's our world in this era of time. Why?  One only need look back at the way young'ens are raised now versus in past time periods.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I guess I'm in the minority, but I sent quite a few cards this year, believing it has never been more important to do so.  Happily, I received almost as many in return, most with a warm note.  (That's not including cards from charities, which don't count -- especially when accompanied by an envelope for more $, after I've just donated!  Nor am I including  messageless Shutterfly photo cards.)  I've always loved the tradition, and it's become part of me.  Sending a simple, decorative card with a few hand-written, personal words has meaning and purpose, even if it's not appreciated.  If we don't hold on to such signs of graciousness and good will in an increasingly degraded, narcissistic culture, who will?  

Honored Contributor

I only send Christmas Cards to friends or family I will not see over the Holidays.  I sent a few extra this year because I have quite a few friends I have not seen!

I think the Brag letter has been replaced by Facebook!

Honored Contributor

@mamaslittlepotato wrote:
I don’t send out Christmas cards anymore either, but when I did, it never even crossed my mind to count how many people reciprocated. In my opinion, that would cancel out the whole reason for me sending cards to those I love and care about in the first place.

@mamaslittlepotato 

Me either.   Based on some of the comments, it seems like it's thought of as a contest.  Let's see ... did I get cards from those I sent cards to ....  rather silly, IMO.

Honored Contributor

Christmas cards are a custom that is almost dead. We mail a handful to out of state friends and relatives and get a hand full back.  This year, we got fewer than we sent out.  It's sad.  I remember when I'd out 40 or 50 and get an equal number back.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I received within 10 of the number of cards sent, and nearly every one had notes or letters inside.   I did not expect to receive cards from my 80-90 year old friends and family, based on their physical health.   

My older friends and family have no computers or cell phones, so they appreciate receiving cards in the mail, and as long as they live, I will continue to send cards to them.   

The cards, and postage will never be too high, or my schedule too busy, not to send written holiday wishes to those I care about.    The rest of the world can change and do whatever it wants but I will send cards until I physically cannot write or attach a stamp.  

P.S.   My only typed Christmas newsletter these days comes from a cousin, who has no children and it's a very simple yearly update.  

One of the activities I did with my daughters  during Christmas break was have them count, and read the cards.   They were not always receptive to sitting down with a workbook and doing focused work, but counting the pretty cards, or finding and reading a specific card (because it specifically named the girls and their excitement for Santa) was never seen as work, and always kept them busy.   The cards were a fun way to teach my girls to read other peoples writing, especially once they learned cursive.   

Honored Contributor

Same story here. Sent out about 20. Received 7. I did get a card from an old friend that I haven’t heard from or seen in years. She wriote a nice update inside about her family. That really brought a smile to my face. 

Honored Contributor

I sent out about 30 cards and I think got about 20 back...no problem. Some were from people I haven’t heard from in a few years. I will keep sending them until my stash of cards runs out. Did not get as many “ letters” this year and that was a good thing. I don’t like the long, printed Christmas letters that do nothing but brag about themselves and their kids. I suspect not many had much to brag about in 2020.
Honored Contributor

I didn't realize people send Christmas cards with the expectation of getting one in return, even going to the extent of counting them.  I always sent them to stay in touch with and catch up with old friends.  I no longer send them since I'm often in touch with those people through email.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

There could be cards still in the mail. I got a text from someone in Chicago saying my card arrived January 2 - the postmark from Milwaukee was December 10. It took over twenty days to travel 90 miles!