Honored Contributor

Re: secretive facility where USPS sends and sells your lost mail for profit

@Tyak wrote:

I bet the good stuff finds its way home with a postal worker and the not so good stuff hits the auction.

@Tyak.  Not everyone is a thief. In fact I don’t know any. My Dad was a postal worker.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Tyak wrote:

I bet the good stuff finds its way home with a postal worker and the not so good stuff hits the auction.

@Tyak.  Not everyone is a thief. In fact I don’t know any. My Dad was a postal worker.

ITA.

I cringe when I hear people (including my sister) using a broad

brushstroke which blames the postal service for committing

illegal activities. Makes no sense. 

Trusted Contributor

I think there is a story here.

The fact that they auction stuff off is not out of the norm, but the fact that they cry and complain every year about how bad they are doing financially is unacceptable.

Shipping rates go up, stamp prices go up, yet they are making millions of dollars auctioning stuff? THAT is why they are so secretive. They do not want the public to know that the increasingly high shipping prices may not be based on factual income.

So who pays the price? Us, the consumer. They make millions, yet we pay more and more every year. That should be brought to the publics attention for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

U.S. Postal Service Reports Fiscal Year 2018 Results

November 14, 2018 

http://www.facebook.com/uspsspacerTwitter @USPS
  • Overall volume decline of 3.2 billion pieces
  • Net loss of $3.9 billion
  • Urgent need to advance legislative and regulatory reforms, along with continued aggressive postal management actions to generate new revenue and control costs

WASHINGTON - The U.S. Postal Service reported operating revenue of $70.6 billion for fiscal year 2018 (October 1, 2017 - September 30, 2018), an increase of $1.0 billion compared to the prior year. The higher revenues were driven largely by continued growth in the Shipping and Packages business, where revenue increased $2.0 billion, or 10.1 percent, which more than offset revenue declines in First-Class and Marketing Mail as a result of declining volumes in that segment of its business.

In 2018, First-Class Mail volumes declined by approximately 2.1 billion pieces, or 3.6 percent, while package volumes grew by 394 million pieces, or 6.8 percent, continuing a multi-year trend of declining mail volumes and increasing package volumes. Although mail volume declines were partially offset by growth in package volume, overall volume for the year declined by 3.2 billion pieces.

Much, much more:  https://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2018/pr18_093.htm

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Tyak wrote:

I did not say that everyone was a thief.  There are bad apples in every profession.  Postal workers are no exception.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@software wrote:

In the case of lost luggage, it goes to the unclaimed baggage store after the airline has made compensation to the owner.

The airline does very little to return luggage to their owners.  

The store is located in north Alabama.

It's time for May Sweeps, local TV news will present lots of sensational stories for ratings.

@software.  The airlines do return lost luggage. The problem is identification on the outside of the bags comes off and there is no way to identify the owner.

I always have identification inside of my luggage and very noticeable. 

The way those bags are thrown around you can’t trust the tags on the outside.

My comment was "they do little to return luggage"

Unless they can quickly & easily identify, it's cheaper for them to reimburse than to keep looking.

Some lost luggage is more lost than others.    Some lost luggage is just temporarily misplaced.

I rarely fly & when I do, I don't check any bags.

Honored Contributor

@software.  Well, they lost or misplaced, who knows, our luggage in Scotland. They delivered it to our B&B a few hours later. I can’t travel without luggage as I go for over a week at least. I worked for an airline for 20 years.

Honored Contributor

I don't know if it is still here, but there used to be a big building near the airport that sold lost or unclaimed baggage....still with its contents! The bags weren't auctioned, but you could just go in and buy the bags for a good price. One of my DDs worked for an airline and she would go in and look for expensive luggage....which would have expensive stuff inside.....but mostly the bags were cheap and the stuff inside she just threw away. you had to buy he bags before seeing what was inside