Honored Contributor

secretive facility where USPS sends and sells your lost mail for profit

Lost packages sold for profit! Inside the secret facility auctioning off YOUR LOST MAIL!

via our local FOX station

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/nation-world/the-secretive-facility-where-usps-sends-and-sells-your-lo...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Re: secretive facility where USPS sends and sells your lost mail for profit

The airlines also auction abandoned luggage and lost items.

Respected Contributor

Huuuummmm I wonder how much QVC and HSN merchandise that was "lost" is selling at those auctions. If I could be a fly on the wall!

Valued Contributor

sadly, this has been going on for a long time.

if the package is "lost", how do they have them to sell?
and i suppose NONE of these packages have a return address

someone is not telling the truth.

and they wonder why people are using their ratchet service, less and less

and have the nerve to say that they don't make enough money - lies

while some may be annoyed that amazon is on it's way to disrupting the entire shipping industry, when you read things like this, it's kinda hard to be mad at them.

it's a shame that there are so many people/businesses that are death after a dollar, that they would stoop this low. in the end, they will loose.

i guess there will come a time where companies that ship packages, will have to put some type of tracking device in the boxes, so they will know where they are at all times.

Super Contributor

I know things can get lost along the way. Think of all the stops our packages make before they get to us.

Over the many years I've bought things through my computer I've had some things not show up. I always call CS and they either send the same thing I've ordered or refund my money.

I do believe some things have been lost along the way or someone has taken the item out of my mail box.

Our names and addresses are on the packages though. Don't they see that?

I'll have to read this article because I've never heard of this before.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 

Funny you should mention this now, just yesterday I read a news article where a woman bought a box of Legos for her son at a P.O. auction and underneath the Legos in the box was a package of Meth worth $40,000 on the street.

Yikes! I guess we know why there was no return address on that box!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@iwrite wrote:

sadly, this has been going on for a long time.

if the package is "lost", how do they have them to sell?
and i suppose NONE of these packages have a return address

someone is not telling the truth.

and they wonder why people are using their ratchet service, less and less

and have the nerve to say that they don't make enough money - lies

while some may be annoyed that amazon is on it's way to disrupting the entire shipping industry, when you read things like this, it's kinda hard to be mad at them.

it's a shame that there are so many people/businesses that are death after a dollar, that they would stoop this low. in the end, they will loose.

i guess there will come a time where companies that ship packages, will have to put some type of tracking device in the boxes, so they will know where they are at all times.

You'd be amazed at how much mail is sent without labels, return addresses, company names, etc...and packaged/labeled so badly that they fall apart at a glance.  There are tons and tons of mail every day and most is run through machines with computers.  What would you suggest USPS do with unidentifiable mail?   They could throw it away.  Or they could auction it off if not identified or claimed within their timing guidelines.

Honored Contributor

In the case of lost luggage, it goes to the unclaimed baggage store after the airline has made compensation to the owner.

The airline does very little to return luggage to their owners.  

The store is located in north Alabama.

It's time for May Sweeps, local TV news will present lots of sensational stories for ratings.

Honored Contributor

I would think they would auction it off.  Why add to a dump or burn it or something?  It's undeliverable mail, damaged mail, misrouted mail that was not properly addressed and can't be traced, etc.

Even a big outfit like QVC messes up packages a lot.  Think about what PEOPLE send?  Really?  LOL!!!

Part of the problem is that now you can pay for shipping and make your own label so how many times do you think that gets messed up?  Back when you had to check on in at the post office, the person at the counter might look and say, there's no zip code, that's not taped up well enough, or something like that.  Now people just go on a wing and a prayer and "hope" it gets there.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

In the case of lost luggage, it goes to the unclaimed baggage store after the airline has made compensation to the owner.

The airline does very little to return luggage to their owners.  

The store is located in north Alabama.

It's time for May Sweeps, local TV news will present lots of sensational stories for ratings.

@software.  The airlines do return lost luggage. The problem is identification on the outside of the bags comes off and there is no way to identify the owner.

I always have identification inside of my luggage and very noticeable. 

The way those bags are thrown around you can’t trust the tags on the outside.