Esteemed Contributor

Re: scam phone calls, trying to help friend

We don't have NoMoRobo.  He has a simple cell phone, no Internet, not even a tv set.  I cannot believe he was a target.  He does have two charge cards.  He is  not uptodate in anything.  I tease him about getting rid of the phone and using smoke signals.  

Thanks everyone.  

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

We don't have NoMoRobo.  He has a simple cell phone, no Internet, not even a tv set.  I cannot believe he was a target.  He does have two charge cards.  He is  not uptodate in anything.  I tease him about getting rid of the phone and using smoke signals.  

Thanks everyone.  

If his cell phone is an up to date model, he has the capability to block calls.  If he does'nt have a newer model, take him to his brands store where he can buy one.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Respected Contributor

@sailor_moon wrote:

@bonnielu, your friend needs to contact all three major credit bureaus and file a fraud alert. 

@bonnielu  I highly agree with the information given by @sailor_moon.    When someone has access to another's SSN and other identifying data a lot of damage can be done without the victim even knowing.  

Not saying that this has or will occur to your friend but better to be safe then sorry.

Esteemed Contributor

He should go to the police, especially if any threat was involved.  Also, for a fee, he can have a security freeze on his accounts that will make if difficult for someone to use his credit.  File with all 3 credit reporting agencies.  A fraud alert may help as well. 

Esteemed Contributor

The OP mentioned in her opening thread that she told her friend to contact all three credit agencies and other contacts.  She then asked for further suggestions. 

Esteemed Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

The OP mentioned in her opening thread that she told her friend to contact all three credit agencies and other contacts.  She then asked for further suggestions. 

Thanks, the freeze is not the same as a fraud alert.  Just in case they weren't aware of the option and protections.

Esteemed Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Thanks, the freeze is not the same as a fraud alert.  Just in case they weren't aware of the option and protections.

You're welcome but my post wasn't directed to you. 

Respected Contributor

Everyone has given good advice.

After these agencies have been contacted, he may want to see about a hearing aid or a better hearing aid.

If he had been able to hear them perhaps he wouldnt have been so ready to hand over sensitive information.

I hope this will all be contained quickly for your friend's sake.

Trusted Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Snoopp@MyGirlsMom, the op mentioned credit unions not credit bureaus. Maybe she meant credit bureaus, not credit unions?

☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️
Esteemed Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Snoopp wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

You're welcome but my post wasn't directed to you. 

Well alrighty then.