Esteemed Contributor

scam phone calls, trying to help friend

[ Edited ]

A friend called in distress.  Holiday weekend so help is hard to come by.  He is hard of hearing, but on the phone he did hear consolidation of credit cards for 0 interest.  He is also a senior as I am as well.  He "bought into the scheme," realized it and called back and was threatened.... he would have to hand over money.  His accounts were compromised.  Not sure how his social security got compromised before or after the call.  He is very upset. They had lots of information on him. I told him to call his lawyer, his accountant, his bank, DO NOT Call (list), the attorney general of our state, the credit unions.  So far everyone is telling him he will be fine.  But they keep calling and making threats about suing him for I have no clue what.  

He does not have Internet, so that is not the point of entry.  He uses only big gas stations, never goes into restaurants, etc.  Not one ot use his cards except for travel in the US.  

Any advice other than what I told him. He feels violated and basically uneasy and afraid.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: scam phone calls, trying to help friend

GO to the police, file a report

BLOCK all phone calls from these criminals.  If he does not have a phone with these features,, buy one asap

Call the Attorney General of your State and file a claim

Change bank accounts

Call Social Security or visit them in person at your nearest office

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

That is why I never answer the phone from unknown callers!  I'm a senior also and will never fall for these crappy traps.  Do not call me if you don't already know me.  You'll never get through and I will instantly block you.  So sorry this happened to him!  Crazy world we're living in!

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu - You are a good friend for trying so hard to help!

I think the advice you gave him is good. I just have one more thing to add. Maybe you can help him sign up for "nomorobo" through his phone company. They have a website nomorobo.com. I learned about it here. It will STOP calls like this from coming in. It has made a huge difference in our lives!

Good luck! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@bonnielu - You are a good friend for trying so hard to help!

I think the advice you gave him is good. I just have one more thing to add. Maybe you can help him sign up for "nomorobo" through his phone company. They have a website nomorobo.com. I learned about it here. It will STOP calls like this from coming in. It has made a huge difference in our lives!

Good luck! Smiley Happy

Unfortunatly, not every area carries NoMoRobo.

For example, my area doesn't.

Trusted Contributor

@bonnielu, your friend needs to contact all three major credit bureaus and file a fraud alert. 

☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️
Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu, if your friend has an answering machine, let all calls go to it and he can return the calls to friends and family.  If the scammers make threats on the answering machine, he can take that to the police, Attorney, and State Attorney General.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Valued Contributor

@bonnielu, how did he pay them?  Did he give them money directly from his bank account or did he use his credit card?

He needs to contact his bank ASAP.

Frequent Contributor

Sorry to hear about your friends predicament, there is nothing more infuriating than when they target seniors. Can you check if your area (state or county) has an "elder abuse" program. A elderly friend I know had got scammed and it was actually her bank that notified the "elder abuse" department, who then showed up on her door to tell her she had been scammed. Also, if you or he hasn't done yet can a fraud alert be put on his bank accounts and credit report? Good look!!! I hope there's a special place for these animals that prey on the elderly. 

Honored Contributor

Scammers often threaten that the police will come to arrest you for unpaid bills that are bogus, you don't actually owe, and you know you don't.  A co-worker and I were coincidentally getting the same calls, telling us the police would be on their way tomorrow. Both of us called their bluff and said "send 'em on over, I'll be here all day!" And of course after that we never heard another word, either of us.

So - if you happen to be there - try calling their bluff.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all