Honored Contributor

Re: scam phone calls, trying to help friend

What information specifically did your friend divulge?  If it was credit card info, it seems like his current card issuers would be able to undo whatever damage he caused.

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu  Why in the world would you tell him to not call the attorney general?   The are the highest level consumer watchdog agency in every state.   The police definitely need to be contacted. 

Maybe he needs to change his phone number. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@bonnielu  Why in the world would you tell him to not call the attorney general?   The are the highest level consumer watchdog agency in every state.   The police definitely need to be contacted. 

Maybe he needs to change his phone number. 

@Kachina624

I made the same mistake as you did.  The Op has a comma after DO NOT CALL and then she references the AG's office.  I believe she was listing all the agencies to contact. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

@Bri21  He never paid them.  He got a call.  He is not all that scam savvy.  As I stated before, only a cell phone, no real interest in the Internet or even TV.  He answered the phone and bought into the consolidate his credit cards (all two of them).  He must have "liked the offer" since they offered 0 interest rate.  Not really sure if they had info on him or he offered it to them to get the new credit deal.  He does travel and does use two credit cards.  IN any case, after he hung up he called back and wanted to back out.  Then is when the fireworks started.  They told him he owed them money for dealing with him and HE BETTER PAY UP.  They threatened his credit. He called his lawyer and left a message.  He called THE STATE.  HE DID CALL THE  POLICE.  However they continued to call and told him he would be in jail, etc.  

He called me, actually my hubby and I took over the call.  I have this CURSE OR GIFT... i HAVE AN OVERBLOWN SENSE OF FAIRPLAY SO I ALWAYS KEEP THE HUNT GOING FOR JUSTICE.  I cannot let it go.  Someone is trying to harm my friend, which I know is a scam but HE IS HURTING AND AFRAID and I cannot deal with that.  

Honored Contributor

well, first he should do what should have done in the very beginning, at that first call, hang up.  He let them know he's an easy mark and now they want their payout.  How were his accounts "comromised" ?   Have his accounts been drained?  Is money missing?  Have their been purchases on his credit cards?   Why would you tell him to call his lawyer and if he has an accountant, why would he have even listened to that phone call?  It sounds murky at best.  Piecing it together, if he's being told that he'll be fine and if the bank and credit card companies and his accountant are the ones who told him that, then nothing has been compromised.  It's just a scam and they are trying to get him to cough up some cash and he should just hang up when he gets one of the calls....like immediately, not after they talked for 20 minutes.  If he hasn't called his back and credit card companies, why not?  And he should do it immediate and tell them that he gave out a lot of personal information over the phone and he's afraid he might be victimized, if hasn't been already.  They'll take it from there, they don't your help.  He can call the police about the phone calls but I don't think they can do anything about it unless a crime has happened and it seems like, it hasn't.  They'll tell him to hang up and stop talking to the callers.  As for "point of entry",  what tv program did you hear that on?   You started out by telling us he got into the mess via a phone call.  So that would have been the "point of entry".   You need to step out of this now and let his lawyer and back and credit card companies handle the situation. 

Esteemed Contributor

He's contacted his banks, law enforcement and hopefully his credit card companies.  That's all that can be done other getting a new cell phone number.  Just reassure him that he cannot be sent to jail.  Those scammers prey on people's fear.  It's funny how US citizens forget that we have due process.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, was in a hurry.  I told him to call the Att Gen in our state and everyone else who could help.  Probably a punctuation error.  

He called me back tonight.  He got a letter that said... that if he did not pay up his credit would be ruined and he would owe over 4 grand in fees.  

Actually I cannot believe my friend even believes this stuff. He was so distraught on the phone that I am truly worried.  This is an example of someone being targeted.  Senior yes, but accomplished in his time, very bright, and has spent his life helping people in an admirable profession.  When the holiday is over I am going to see if I can help him make more contacts.. anyone of authority who will listen.