Super Contributor

Re: saw my first wild tarantula yesterday

We get them in our yard. They are interesting to watch. The males go away and die after they make woopie. I guess they kind of lose their minds. LOL The pregnant females then dig a hole about 4-6 inches deep and she puts a thick web over it so it can catch food. She has the babies in that nest. After they are born, hundred of babies run out of the nest and most don't live. They either get eaten by birds or snakes or walked on or driven on, etc.

Honored Contributor

Fortunately, I haven't, but I know it's common to see them in CA at this time of year.

I did see a huge snake yesterday! I'll take snakes over hairy spiders, any day.

Contributor

I live in the Southwest and have been around them all my life. We have 2 that live in our back yard, love them! They are so cool and eat the bad bugs. Mellow and really beautiful when you take the time to look at them and not be creeped out...lol.

Super Contributor

There was one in my yard last week. That was only the second one I have had in my yard in 20 years. Maybe I just haven't always seen them.

Trusted Contributor

We have lots of them here in southeastern Arizona! They are great in terms of eating bugs.
Honored Contributor

Oh my gosh, just the mention of them gives me the willies......we saw them all the time when we lived in San Antonio when growing up..... At a particular season of the year you have to be sure you don't go barefoot, sorry I don't remember that season though. That was many years ago......

Honored Contributor

I think they are beautiful.

Honored Contributor

I've seen them before too. I've also seen a lot of snakes. Big ones. We once lived near a fielded area and one day a huge snake was by the back door when I opened it up. I don't think I've ever screamed that loudly.

Super Contributor

Valued Contributor

NEAT!!!!!!!