Super Contributor

saw my first wild tarantula yesterday

DH and I took the dog to a local park, for a trail hike. We saw deer, and turkeys, then I looked down at the trail and said, "Uh, is that .... a tarantula?"

Yes it was. Big fat hairy thing, long legs. Lots of legs. Hairy legs.

I had no idea there were tarantulas here (N California). There was a notice warning that there were rattlesnakes in the park, but we didn't see any of those.

As we were leaving, the warden wished us a good night and asked if we'd seen anything interesting. I told her about the tarantula. She said she saw her first one of the year today too. So it's tarantula season, then. Good to know.

{#emotions_dlg.ohmy} {#emotions_dlg.w00t} {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Respected Contributor

Re: saw my first wild tarantula yesterday

oh you need to come here..........especially during migration........yes they migrate in BIG numbers to go make whoopie..........it's a sight to see.........the migration not the whoopie part........................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

Many years ago I saw one on the highway up near the west side of Yosemite. We got out of the car and watched him for a while (there was no traffic). It's pretty freaky!

Biggest I see around here is a black widow. Had one in the garage recently. It was only that I happened to be paying attention that I didn't walk right through him/her. *shudder* I couldn't kill that one dead enough. Took a LOT of spray! Then I left the mess for the husband to clean up that night. Smiley Happy He did. yay!

Honored Contributor

We took a drive the other day past some of the pumpkin patches and ran over dozens of black and orange fuzzy caterpillars -- not dangerous but gross just the same.
Honored Contributor

Is there such a critter as a tame tarantula?

Honored Contributor

YIKES!!!! I would freak! I'm terrified of them and thank goodness here in Pa we don't have them except those big hairy wolf wipers....I call them baby tarantulas.

Super Contributor

On 10/5/2014 deepwaterdotter said:

Wild as in seen "in the wild", as opposed to "in a zoo" Smile

Super Contributor

OMG I hate spiders, I don't know what I would do if I saw a tarantula. This is the time of year local spiders come in the house. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Honored Contributor

On 10/5/2014 Clover29 said:
On 10/5/2014 deepwaterdotter said:

Wild as in seen "in the wild", as opposed to "in a zoo" Smile

Oh, got it. I think "in a zoo" would my preference.

Super Contributor

This is him or her. Only its mother could love that face.