Honored Contributor

Re: saving money

[ Edited ]

Good for you!  Saving is hard bit it is fun when you get into it...like a game.  However, one bit of advice.  Dont save cash too long. Lol, Years  ago we saved money at home as well as bank.  The home safe would get cash every week.  For a long long time.  We amassed a chunk. To us anyway. Then we stopped using safe, but we didn't remove money.  It was too hard to open the old safe, then we forgot about it.  We cracked it open after 20 years this passed christmas.  Lol. The money was so "old" no one would take it.  We found this out after we gave some out for birthdays and gifts. Especially the 20's and 100's!!  My grands came to me, and said gramma, I had to go inside bank and deposit money. Bank said the 20's have changed many times since 1985 which was the oldest bill. No ATM or store would take it.  Oh there was a 1979 twenty.  I brought money into bank slowly to deposit.  Omg, i thought they were going to think I was a bookie or robbed a bank back in the day. Lol!!!

i have to say.  The 100's were actually beautiful.  They were so green, a deep green.  Very artistic and small , much smaller lettering of the denomination.  Pretty, not like today which looks like monopoly moey for safety reasons.  I have to say when you see the actual cash you have saved, it is so different than looking online at at an amount.  The safe is broken now, jammed when we got into it.  But it was a nice wind fall!!

i saved some of the older bills, but it was a nice treat.  I had to laugh because I am old enough to think of Jack Benny and his safe in the cellar!!!  Remember,  he would send Rochester down there to check on his money?   There were alligators and a moat surrounding the safe. Lol,  i would tell my husband , Rochester ...can you go get me a few 20's?   My husband would come back in from garage and hold his butt saying, darn alligator bit me!!

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@1Snickers wrote:

With the increase in postage and slow delivery I will shop and watch less QVC. UPS has 12 days to deliver some items that were promised earlier.

I don’t need any more Christmas decorations and if clothing doesn’t fit it’s expensive to return.

I resolve to clean closets, garages and the attic before Summer and not refill them.

Like others have said, its only January and I may relent!

STAY STRONG!!!!!!!!!!

Shoekitty said, Delivery with QVC is a crup shoot!  I dont order much from qvc, but I get some items in a few days and others take up to 17 days!!!!

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

Good for you!  Saving is hard bit it is fun when you get into it...like a game.  However, one bit of advice.  Dont save cash too long. Lol, Years  ago we saved money at home as well as bank.  The home safe would get cash every week.  For a long long time.  We amassed a chunk. To us anyway. Then we stopped using safe, but we didn't remove money.  It was too hard to open the old safe, then we forgot about it.  We cracked it open after 20 years this passed christmas.  Lol. The money was so "old" no one would take it.  We found this out after we gave some out for birthdays and gifts. Especially the 20's and 100's!!  My grands came to me, and said gramma, I had to go inside bank and deposit money. Bank said the 20's have changed many times since 1985 which was the oldest bill. No ATM or store would take it.  Oh there was a 1979 twenty.  I brought money into bank slowly to deposit.  Omg, i thought they were going to think I was a bookie or robbed a bank back in the day. Lol!!!

i have to say.  The 100's were actually beautiful.  They were so green, a deep green.  Very artistic and small , much smaller lettering of the denomination.  Pretty, not like today which looks like monopoly moey for safety reasons.  I have to say when you see the actual cash you have saved, it is so different than looking online at at an amount.  The safe is broken now, jammed when we got into it.  But it was a nice wind fall!!

i saved some of the older bills, but it was a nice treat.  I had to laugh because I am old enough to think of Jack Benny and his safe in the cellar!!!  Remember,  he would send Rochester down there to check on his money?   There were alligators and a moat surrounding the safe. Lol,  i would tell my husband , Rochester ...can you go get me a few 20's?   My husband would come back in from garage and hold his butt saying, darn alligator bit me!!

@shoekitty

LOL .....   If you don't mind me asking .... just how much had you amassed and forgotten about?   I know it's after the fact, but too bad you didn't check out the oldest on Ebay to see what they were selling for.   A friend of mine inherited some really old "silver certificates"  bills  (remember them?)  and sold them for a lot more than face value.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty wrote:

The first Sunday night of 2017 I decided to take a $20.00 bill out of my wallet every Sunday night and bank at home for my own personal Christmas fund for Dec. 2017.  I never looked at it or stole from it just tried to remember to do it every Sunday evening.  When I counted out the folded $20.00 bills on Dec. 15th 2017 there was a total of $740.00.  I did miss some Sunday nights.  Started again last Jan. 2018 and counted out all the folded bills this past Christmas afternoon, $1040.00!!  It is a game I will continue.  I put $20.00 back in my home bank for 2019, $20.00 in my wallet and the remaining in my actual bank.  Hard not to steal from myself but boy did I feel rich driving all that cash to the bank last week @shoekitty

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44

20,000 and change! But is seems like soooo much more when it is in 20's 50's and a few 100's.  It really looks like millions, to me anyway. Lol. It was a nice "wind fall". I like Beckys idea of putting 20 bucks or so away each week.  Like a christmas club.

Honored Contributor

LOL! I just realized earlier today that my last QVC order was dated 12/14/18. I must be sick.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

This year only buying things on clearance, as is or last click and perhaps on free shipping days.  Don't really need anything.  So far, so good!

Respected Contributor

Strange post.  Why come on a shopping site forum to boost about not shopping?  How is that interesting?  Or helpful?  How is saving money a good thing if you are not finding products you want to purchase?  I could name a lot of retailers I don't shop with, but not sure if anyone cares.  For every one I name someone here will say they are their favorite.  No problem since there are so many places to shop these days.  I buy plenty from QVC if they offer the best price.  I rarely watch tv programming.  I shop online.