Honored Contributor

Re: sanitizing wipes and sprays

@MoJoV   Chlorine bleach is unstable and will just retain it's effectiveness a couple of days.  That's why people have to constantly add chlorine to swimming pools.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

This is a "recipe" for a disinfectant wipe solution I found online and have been using.

In a spray bottle, mix together:

1 cup water

2 Tbsp bleach

2 Tbsp Dawn liquid soap

OR, substitute the bleach with 6 Tbsp Isopropyl Alcohol 91%

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh wrote:

I will just say this for what it is or isn't worth. 

I am 64 years old.  While I occasionally, and I do mean occasionally, through the years, have had a random pack of Wet Ones in my car, I have never been a sanitizing wipe user and had never bought them until just before the sold out frenzy began.  I also have never bought a can of Lysol.  If too much of that is sprayed, I can't handle it.  I feel like I can't breathe. 

I bought 2 travel packs of Clorox Wipes (Fresh scent) and one larger pack (lemon scent).  I absolutely hate the smell of them. I've only used some of the Fresh Scent ones so far.  Hate them. 

If I need to clean something at home I use soap and water or 409 or something like that.  Again, I have used some of the wipes since all this  started but I hate them.  I feel like the smell and the film linger.

I keep a really clean house and have done fine through the years illness wise and I'm hoping that holds, but I can't imagine buying as many wipes as I hear about people buying. Even before the virus was an issue. 

I have bought multiple travel packs of Wet Ones lately, unscented. I know it's not the same thing, but they truly are unscented but that's what I use, For the most part, when I come out of a store until I can come straight home and wash my hands. I have used the Clorox wipes in the car a few times and can't wait to come home and get my hands washed. 

@gidgetgh  These chemicals are not good for us, especially our children. There is more I could say about that ...  I feel bad for what you’re experiencing. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I will just say this for what it is or isn't worth. 

I am 64 years old.  While I occasionally, and I do mean occasionally, through the years, have had a random pack of Wet Ones in my car, I have never been a sanitizing wipe user and had never bought them until just before the sold out frenzy began.  I also have never bought a can of Lysol.  If too much of that is sprayed, I can't handle it.  I feel like I can't breathe. 

I bought 2 travel packs of Clorox Wipes (Fresh scent) and one larger pack (lemon scent).  I absolutely hate the smell of them. I've only used some of the Fresh Scent ones so far.  Hate them. 

If I need to clean something at home I use soap and water or 409 or something like that.  Again, I have used some of the wipes since all this  started but I hate them.  I feel like the smell and the film linger.

I keep a really clean house and have done fine through the years illness wise and I'm hoping that holds, but I can't imagine buying as many wipes as I hear about people buying. Even before the virus was an issue. 

I have bought multiple travel packs of Wet Ones lately, unscented. I know it's not the same thing, but they truly are unscented but that's what I use, For the most part, when I come out of a store until I can come straight home and wash my hands. I have used the Clorox wipes in the car a few times and can't wait to come home and get my hands washed. 

I'm glad you posted this because I was reluctant to do so, @gidgetgh. I use the sheets that the market provides to wipe my cart, but at home? No, I use regular cleaners.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@gidgetgh  I tried to quickly edit my response to you and tell you I feel bad for you. Just wanted you to know that. 🙂

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Adding tea tree oil (especially Australian) to anything will help as it has anitviral properties, in addition to antibacterial and antifungal ones.

Even using or adding tea tree castile or hand soap, dish liquid, body wash, or shampoo will have some benefit.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden  I know what you mean.  Even the manufacturers of Lysol products are out of stock.  What you can do is take a sponge and some household cleaner and wipe down your counters, door knobs, and keep your kitchen and bathroom clean but then most people keep their kitchen and bathroom clean.  I am more interested in the Lysol spray.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Teddie wrote:

@gidgetgh  I tried to quickly edit my response to you and tell you I feel bad for you. Just wanted you to know that. 🙂

@Teddie - no need to feel bad for me, but thanks. I just don't like the smell of disinfecting wipes. No biggie.  I don't like bleach either. Can't stand the smell of that either. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

My daughter was at our local Costco earlier this week and they had Clorox wipes when she was there.  A friend went the next day to the same Costco and they were gone.  So I think it is being in the right place at the right time. 

I think it is a matter of being at the right place at the right time. I've been looking for some hand sanitizer for weeks and found some at Target recently.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@MoJoV   Chlorine bleach is unstable and will just retain it's effectiveness a couple of days.  That's why people have to constantly add chlorine to swimming pools.

@Kachina624  Believe me,I keep 'em moving!  They don't hang around very long. But thanks for telling me,I didnt know that.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth