Esteemed Contributor

Re: sanitizing wipes and sprays

Lot of hoarding going on.  Seen people fill shopping carts for toilet paper for example.  That was when it was available.  No need for that much.  And the sanitizers...they are nowhere around here but if need be some can be made with directions online.  

Honored Contributor

if anyone is having any trouble finding items, i have recommended the site QUILL for finding items. we buy much of our office supplies from them. we opened a business account and they bill us, but you can buy from them as an individual also. lots of coupon codes if you look around and some can be found right on their website. just ordered a case of a dozen hand sanitizers that are backordered, but should be here by the 14th.

i gave the information to my brother and he just ordered paper towels and two lysol disinfectant sprays.

QUILL is on the rebate sites also.

good luck to all finding what you need!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anybody wanting to use Clorox bleach-please go to their website for info on mixture ratios; also on what surfaces the mixture can be used.

They have 3 areas for questions and you will probably find answers in all of them or you can ask directly in a forum.

Clorox needs to be mixed in correct ratio with water in order to be effective.

Some surfaces need to air dry; other items can be soaked for a period of time with no rinsing needed.

Also:  there are plenty of sites advocating plain soap and water being just as effective; I think people are over concerned about lack of wipes.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A lot of hoarders bought the wipes, gels,, etc and are holding onto them or selling them online. I wanted a few masks for the few times I go out. DD went to Costco and WM and said almost everyone in both places were wearing masks...mostly the N95 ones. Where the heck did so many people get them? DH is asthmatic and has only a few masks left he must wear during the pollen season, so he just stays inside. I have found using old washcloths and soap and water is just fine for wiping off counters, etc. I  sometimes add a tiny bit of bleach. I happen to have plenty of Clorox wipes, but now that the stay at home orders continue to be pushed ahead, I am going to have to start rationing them so I don’t run out completely. The container always has about an inch of the liquid left in the bottom after you use the last wipe. I have put two paper towels into the container, soaked up the liquid, and then used the towels to wipe things down. I was raised by a mother who was raised during the depression,,.,so some of these “ make do or do without” situations right now I am taking in stride. It is surprising what ingenuity can create in times like this. Amazing what people can use or repurpose if need be. My mother would approve!

Honored Contributor

It is the breakdown of our supply chains -- food, medical supplies, meds -- that makes me anxious.  The chips, packaged cookies, candy, sodas, and beer are certainly plentiful:/

Valued Contributor

I recall reading that the virus lives in a fatty membrane.  So if you are just using a microfiber cloth dipped in soapy water (like I have been doing mostly) make sure you put some pressure on the surface you are cleaning to break the membrane which de-activates the virus.

Trusted Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Teddie wrote:

@gidgetgh  I tried to quickly edit my response to you and tell you I feel bad for you. Just wanted you to know that. 🙂

@Teddie - no need to feel bad for me, but thanks. I just don't like the smell of disinfecting wipes. No biggie.  I don't like bleach either. Can't stand the smell of that either. 

@gidgetgh  I don’t mean to imply that you are a pathetic creature. You had said you couldn’t breathe from many of the products. That’s what I was responding to. Not meaning to make this a bigger deal than it is! Take care.

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh  I also have a problem with the chemicals. I use my steamer (water only) and it works great and a lot better and less work.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@giddy up    A steam cleaner or boiling water is also good as it melts the fatty coating on the virus.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

My last job was working for Federal funded Head Start.  80 kids. We constantly used bleach to clean daily.  Toys especially ,washed in bleach.The recommended proportion  was a capful, about a  1T. Per Qt. as per our health official. Labeled clearly.

• My clothing was always ruined, spattered with bleach. We used to have outbreaks of Hand and Mouth disease and would  have close to disinfect. Respiratory ailments, colds, flu, pink eye,so common. Since retired I  am rarely sick.

Paper products are back in stores but  I noticed the only bleach were even  pricey in only small bottles. No wipes either. Bleach is inexpensive and effective.