Honored Contributor
My opinion is busybody. I just see this as a classic case of a neighbor sticking his nose where it doesn't belong. If this was the way an older, handicapped person was able to exercise his dog, then I don't see this situation as anyone else's business. I live in an area where we are tolerant of our neighbors riding lawn mowers, 4 wheelers, golf carts, tractors, and horses on the highway. Seeing this in person would've made me smile, not run to the phone to report it.
Regular Contributor

Busybody.

Honored Contributor

Who said he was riding down a highway?

I live in a development so it's nothing but side streets. I have neighbors who ride their grandkids around on the riding mower because their grands love it.

I'm not sure why the dog would be destroyed either. It would seem to me at the worst, the dog would be placed in a shelter. The man should be able to go to Court to argue his case.

If the guy was on a highway, there is a problem. Side street? Not so much.

There really isn't enough info.

My one dog would absolutely love it if I would ride a bike and tether her so she could run. I can barely walk her because she really wants to run and I'm not a runner.

Honored Contributor
On 9/1/2014 Lucky Charm said:

I hate when I see people riding bikes and running their dogs at the same time. The fat butts are sitting on a bike seat and the animal is running AND trying to stay away from bike wheels (SPOKES).

You want to WALK your dog, WALK with it.

You want to RUN your dog, RUN with it.

You want to repeatedly throw tennis balls into the waves for your dog to retreat it, jump in every other time too with your clothes on.

Clearly you haven't a clue about dogs and bike riding.

Dogs are trained to run along side a bike so unless the dog was lagging behind in distress there is nothing wrong with it. People take their dogs running with them but dogs can run a lot faster than people can so the dog never gets to run full speed. Many people haven't the option of throwing a ball for their dog because they haven't a large yard and the parks in their area require dogs to be on a leash.

Honored Contributor

Most likely a busy body. Unless the man and dog (and mower) were on the streets where there is a lot of traffic, then I don't see this as being serious enough to take a man's pet. I would understand someone requesting or even authorities requiring him to not do it again for the safety of both, but without more info, just taking the dog seems excessive.

People need to think before they willy nilly call authorities on people. I especially feel this way about children's services. You better know what you think you do, because if a child is removed, and something happens to that child while in the state's care and things are being investigated, the tattle tale is to blame. And things like that do happen, just because someone is vindictive, nosy, or just plain meddlesome.

Super Contributor

the real question though, without all the information, is why did the police take the dog away? If this scenario took place where I live the animal warden would go out and investigate first. If he/she determined the dog was not in a dangerous situation, the owner might get a warning and that's all. I never heard of taking away a dog immediately unless the police determined there was true dog abuse or dangerous situation, like on a busy highway. With what was written in the OP, there is not enough fact to make an assessment here. Police don't usually seize an animal because a busybody called them. Not around here anyway.

Esteemed Contributor
On 9/1/2014 Lucky Charm said:

I hate when I see people riding bikes and running their dogs at the same time. The fat butts are sitting on a bike seat and the animal is running AND trying to stay away from bike wheels (SPOKES).

You want to WALK your dog, WALK with it.

You want to RUN your dog, RUN with it.

You want to repeatedly throw tennis balls into the waves for your dog to retreat it, jump in every other time too with your clothes on.

Dogs can run much faster than a person. Some dogs just love to run full out, no one could keep up with that pace. I know several people who exercise their dogs this way, the dogs love it and are in much better shape than those dogs who just get a walk.

And if the dog did not want to get wet, they would not go into the water for it. There are dogs who like to swim too, do you have a problem with that activity also.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor
On 9/2/2014 baddest_dog said:

the real question though, without all the information, is why did the police take the dog away? If this scenario took place where I live the animal warden would go out and investigate first. If he/she determined the dog was not in a dangerous situation, the owner might get a warning and that's all. I never heard of taking away a dog immediately unless the police determined there was true dog abuse or dangerous situation, like on a busy highway. With what was written in the OP, there is not enough fact to make an assessment here. Police don't usually seize an animal because a busybody called them. Not around here anyway.

This was my thought. There has to be more to the story. Animal control here always give the owner the opportunity to correct any problem.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know the answer, but my initial impulse was busybody, although as others have said, we really don't know all the facts.

I do know I feel sorry for this poor man if he wants his dog back and doesn't have the money.

It's too bad someone couldn't have walked the dog for him, but perhaps this fellow wasn't the kind who liked to ask people to do things for him. Maybe he was doing the best he could.

{#emotions_dlg.bored}

Respected Contributor
I'd have to know a lot more about this particular case. But walking a dog on a leash in front of ANY motorized vehicle, lawnmower or moped, is a big no-no.

What worries you masters you.