Honored Contributor
On 9/1/2014 KYToby said:

The man was breaking the law by riding his law mower in the street (regardless of the blade). It is not safe for him -- or other drivers -- to have a lawn tractor in a public street.

As far as the dog, there is clearly not enough information. We do not know the details; the amount of a fine is speculative, at best, and the fact of the matter is that a dog should not be riding on a lawn mower or running beside it. The owner must keep his dog safe and in his control at all times. Even with the limited information provided, it is clear that he could not do so.

Before some accuse me of being harsh or unsympathetic, let me say I understand what it is like to be a pet lover and have mobility issues. I love dogs, and I would love nothing more than to have one. I am also disabled with limited vision and a prosthetic leg. It would be unfair of me to keep an active dog inside all day and not be able to take it out to properly and safely exercise, so, out of my love for dogs, I do not own one.

You obviously love animals more than some pet owners!

As I said before, even service dogs need to be kept safe.

I've only had German Shepherds so this story really makes my heart beat fast!

Honored Contributor

I think the dog should be given away instead of put to sleep. It's not the dog's fault.

Super Contributor

Busybody.

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Respected Contributor

Dogs can adapt to almost anything to be with the ones they love. I see a lot of young folks riding bikes after work with their dog tethered to the rider and the dog is happy as can be. I also see a lot of parents riding bikes on recreation trails with a small cart behind them containing one or two young children. Should they just not have kids or dogs because something could, might, should possibly happen? Not in my opinion. What is important is that they are together and getting fresh air and exercise. We can all use some of that.

Honored Contributor
On 9/1/2014 Lucky Charm said:

I hate when I see people riding bikes and running their dogs at the same time. The fat butts are sitting on a bike seat and the animal is running AND trying to stay away from bike wheels (SPOKES).

You want to WALK your dog, WALK with it.

You want to RUN your dog, RUN with it.

You want to repeatedly throw tennis balls into the waves for your dog to retreat it, jump in every other time too with your clothes on.

It's very high and mighty of you to tell others what to do. Did it ever occur to you that not everyone is capable of performing all the physical feats you suggest. I have 3 big dogs but can only stand about 5 minutes at a time. I "walk" them on quiet neighborhood streets while I ride my mobility scooter. It's the best way in the world to leash train a dog, by the way. They automatically stop and sit when we have to cross the street. They're older now, I'm older too so we go pretty slowly. I carry water, pepper spray and a cell phone on our outings.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor
Busybody!
Super Contributor
On 9/1/2014 Lucky Charm said:

I hate when I see people riding bikes and running their dogs at the same time. The fat butts are sitting on a bike seat and the animal is running AND trying to stay away from bike wheels (SPOKES).

You want to WALK your dog, WALK with it.

You want to RUN your dog, RUN with it.

You want to repeatedly throw tennis balls into the waves for your dog to retreat it, jump in every other time too with your clothes on.

My husband does this every morning before work with our aussie in our neighborhood. They both love it. And btw, my husband doesn't have a fat butt.

Contributor

Grrrrrrrrrrrr I get irritated every time I see a scooter riding down the highway let alone a lawnmower! They are breaking the law!

Honored Contributor

To me it depends on why this man was using this method of transportation to exercise his dog. It also depends on where he was doing it. If in a rural area where we live I see nothing wrong with it if that is a persons only way of walking their dog.

There are enough helpless and healthy animals dumped/dropped because someone decided they didn't want them any more.

Me personally were I to see something like this? I would ask questions before I would ever have a persons animal taken from them by authorities. My business isn't deciding who should and should not have a dog or other breathing pet. However, should I ever see what I consider abuse of an animal I will talk with the person if I see them doing this, and if not I will call the authorities and also follow up to make sure they follow through.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Busybody.