Esteemed Contributor
On 9/1/2014 Marp2 said:

Was the man riding his mower on the street? Was the dog in any way able to get injured by the mower--get in front, pulled along, get hit by the deck or by traffic? Had the man been warned about this before? Why did the neighbor feel it necessary to call the police? What were the charges that caused the dog to be seized? Why would the dog be destroyed if it is healthy and has not been declared vicious?

As the OP stands there is not enough information to make a valid decision. With the answers to my questions I might be able to form an opinion.

Well stated.

I'd never treat our dog that way.

Honored Contributor
On 9/1/2014 esmerelda said:
On 9/1/2014 Lucky Charm said:

I hate when I see people riding bikes and running their dogs at the same time. The fat butts are sitting on a bike seat and the animal is running AND trying to stay away from bike wheels (SPOKES).

You want to WALK your dog, WALK with it.

You want to RUN your dog, RUN with it.

You want to repeatedly throw tennis balls into the waves for your dog to retreat it, jump in every other time too with your clothes on.

And if a person isn't able to keep up with their dog on foot, don't bother taking it out...period. Is that what you're saying?

Does the man drive a tractor or a moped because he has mobility issues? I think even service dogs need to be taken care of properly. Not to be put in harms way. If they are put in harms way, they can't help their owner just the same.

Super Contributor
Is this a true story or just a what if? If true, if the dog is not dangerous, I would think a German shepherd rescue group might well step up to take it.
Respected Contributor

Where did this happen? Is there a way to read the story?

(must admit my question made me laugh considering esmerelda asks me for a source if I say it is raining outside).

It is, KY3 Springfield weather is my source.

Honored Contributor
On 9/1/2014 Lucky Charm said:

I hate when I see people riding bikes and running their dogs at the same time. The fat butts are sitting on a bike seat and the animal is running AND trying to stay away from bike wheels (SPOKES).

You want to WALK your dog, WALK with it.

You want to RUN your dog, RUN with it.

You want to repeatedly throw tennis balls into the waves for your dog to retreat it, jump in every other time too with your clothes on.

Are you serious? I live in a community with a lot of elderly people, who would love to be able to do all those things with their dogs. Maybe they can't, due to physical limitations. what would you suggest? That they turn their beloved dogs over to a shelter (where they would probably be killed), or look for other ways to give them the exercise they need?

And yes, I have been in situations where I could ride a bike, but not do any weight bearing exercising, like walking.

Respected Contributor
Why would the dog be killed? And why can't the man go to.court and tell his side of the story? I'm sure if it was heard, he could his dog back for free. Isn't he even going to try?
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

If he was riding his mower in the street he was putting himself and his dog in danger. Need more info.

Trusted Contributor

The man was breaking the law by riding his law mower in the street (regardless of the blade). It is not safe for him -- or other drivers -- to have a lawn tractor in a public street.

As far as the dog, there is clearly not enough information. We do not know the details; the amount of a fine is speculative, at best, and the fact of the matter is that a dog should not be riding on a lawn mower or running beside it. The owner must keep his dog safe and in his control at all times. Even with the limited information provided, it is clear that he could not do so.

Before some accuse me of being harsh or unsympathetic, let me say I understand what it is like to be a pet lover and have mobility issues. I love dogs, and I would love nothing more than to have one. I am also disabled with limited vision and a prosthetic leg. It would be unfair of me to keep an active dog inside all day and not be able to take it out to properly and safely exercise, so, out of my love for dogs, I do not own one.

Honored Contributor

Maybe I don't understand the mechanics on these mowers, but if the blade is turned off...is it any different than a golf cart?

Honored Contributor

Imagine being tethered to a motorized vehicle and having to make sure you're keeping your distance so your leg/paw doesn't get run over. And hopefully the motorized vehicle isn't going too fast. A human can say to another, slow down. A dog can't it just has to be forced to keep up with a motorized vehicle. And hope it's paws don't get run over.