Honored Contributor

Re: safety nets around stadiums

It’s happened a lot.  I feel bad for the players.   I think people know the risks when they attend these games.   

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I wouldn't accuse the father of negligence. A ball traveling that fast ,most likely hits you ,by the time you see it coming

I am sure he  would never have allowed his child to be hit if he could help it.  He would have shielded her with his own body. Any loving  parent would

@cherry ,

Baseballs are much easier to see than a black/smaller hockey puck, but if a person is not paying attention and sitting in a vulnerable seat?  Or if their hand/eye coordination is not good to occupy those types of seats? The responsibility, in my opinion, rests solely on them.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

If I may ask a question, but isn't there some sort of liability waiver on the back of the ticket, that says  something to the effect of while precautions are taken to ensure safety, accidents can and do happen, and the venue isn't responsible if something happens, or something like that?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819   I really don't know, I am not into sports

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

If I may ask a question, but isn't there some sort of liability waiver on the back of the ticket, that says  something to the effect of while precautions are taken to ensure safety, accidents can and do happen, and the venue isn't responsible if something happens, or something like that?

Yes

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva 

"It is not impossible to get out of the way" of a line drive baseball or a hockey puck. Hand/eye coordination along with going to a baseball or hockey game ONLY TO WATCH THE GAME, certainly help. If a person chooses a seat(s) in vulnerable areas at baseball fields or hockey rinks? The onus, in my opinion, is 100% on them.

"Dropping the mike".

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut  My oldest granddaughter plays ice hockey on a high school team.  She is the only girl, but has played on many teams since she was maybe 8 years old.  She even played for the Hershey Bears kids team at one time.

My son, who is her father, also played ice hockey since he was little and has played on adult teams as well.

I have been to many ice hockey stadiums.  Everyone of them had some sort of netting.  Thankfully, I have never  seen a puck being hit into the seating area.  I feel safer watching ice hockey than I do watching a baseball game.

But, I agree that people need to be careful when watching sports.  The players cannot be responsible for the spectators, but the venue should take precautions as much as is reasonably possible to protect the fans.

There is always going to be some type of risk and the fans need to be aware and cautious.  Watch at your own risk.

Valued Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Anonymous032819   I really don't know, I am not into sports

In that case I'm surprised you started this thread.

Honored Contributor

Why? I felt sorry for both ball player and child. Just because I am not a fan doesn't mean I live in a box

Honored Contributor

They can't put net or a bubble around an entire ball park, that isn't possible.  Major league stadiums all have nets that protect the most vulnerable seating areas but that child was not sitting in one of those sections.  It was a horrible accident, thank heavens the child will be ok but it's one of the risks you take when you go to a baseball game.