Esteemed Contributor

Re: sad news....Indiana teen crashes plane while trying to fly around the world

That mother has no idea how much grief, pain, and guilt she will endure as time goes on.

Super Contributor

On 7/23/2014 colliegirls said:

I hate that saying" at least they died doing what they loved". First of all that teen was too young to die, PERIOD. Second, that doesn't mean that I want to drop over in the middle of Tiffany's or Nordstrom's!!!!!

While I know what the sentiment is saying (like, who wants to die digging ditches???), I find little comfort that in similar positions, the people die in terror, pain, screaming, burning or whatever. Like those people who freeze to death on Mount Everest or die in a fall doing rock climbing, or drown while surfing. Sure, they love those activities, but I doubt their final thoughts were of pleasure.

IDK, to me it's kind of a throw-away line that people say without really thinking it through. But I do understand what they mean.

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Respected Contributor

It's a terrible tragedy. So much of parenting is preventing bad things from happening, and having a teen fly a little plane around the world to me would seem too risky. The parents may have pushed him b/c it would be a portal to a public life, but that's too much pressure (it seems to me).

I'm not a mom but I am a woman, and my instinct for something like that is, sure, after 21 or (preferably) 25. Not to get into the headlines or a good school--too risky.