Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

?'s about Roku..Amazon Stick....Smart TV's---want to get rid of cable...

I'm really sick and tired of Time Warner/Spectrum!  I haven't switched to Spectrum yet, but I know I will be forced to do so soon.  Presently I do not have any cable boxes, and I don't want any, but many of my channels have been taken away from me because they have moved to digital.

I feel I am paying way too much already for the internet speed and the limited channels I get.  I would love to get rid of cable all together, but there are a few channels that my husband and I want to keep. 

I would love to know more about Roku and/or Amazon Stick.  I know nothing about either one of them.  Is there any way I can find out what channels I will get with either of these devices?  Does anyone use either of these instead of cable?  Do I have to have high speed internet to use either of these?

I would appreciate any of your thoughts, opinions, and advice on possible getting rid of cable.  TIA

Super Contributor

Re: ?'s about Roku..Amazon Stick....Smart TV's---want to get rid of cable...

I have both roku and Amazon Fire stick.  For each you need to have a wireless connection.    Roku has a series of apps that you can get to upgrade your viewing selection.  Some are free, some are not.  If you want to continue getting local stations (or local network stations) I have not found that option.  If you don't have wi-fi, you don't get reception.  Roku sends a weekly email listing avaiable channels.  I want to cut the cable, too, but I'm still waiting to see what develops.   Go to roku.com and see what they have to say.  I got the  29.99 version.  When I installed it, the demanded (and got) another $50 for a service connection.  No other fees have been demanded of me.  Amazon was 39.99 and they didn't ask for any more.   It may all depend on which channels you really want to keep.  Many channels have apps and some are free.  No matter which you get you are going to have to have wi-fi, and that may be the limiting feature.  I love both (all).

Esteemed Contributor

Google the brand your location and ask!

Honored Contributor

@Sue98

I have both Roku (got this first) & Amazon Fire TV Stick. What you will probably want is the Fire TV Stick but the best way to learn about it and Roku is to go to Amazon and read about them. Read all the customer Q&A and also the reviews. They will tell you more about what each has to offer than we can.

You do need high speed internet for both of these. Roku & Fire Stick use the internet to stream TV shows and movies through your TV. You may need a higher speed internet than you already have. I had to increase mine to handle the streaming but I still pay less than if I had cable.

Regular Contributor

I have the Amazon Fire Stick; paid $29.99 for it when it was a Black Friday special on amazon.com. Like everyone else has mentioned, you do have to have high speed internet. I didn't have to upgrade my internet speed which I believe is just the standard speed in my area. Some apps are free, others there is a monthly fee which is handled through amazon.com. I purchased an antenna off of Amazon for $30 which my husband installed in our attic so I am able to get all of the national tv stations (nbc, cbs, abc, cw, fox). I get the HD channels as well as the secondary channels off of the major networks plus several PBS stations, several shopping channels (only in standard definition). I am very happy with this setup. Cut my cable completely and do not regret it at all. I mainly watch Amazon movies and YouTube with the Fire Stick. I also activated the Feeln app (a Hallmark affiliate that streams a lot of Hallmark movies and series). It's only $2.99 a month through amazon.com. HTH!

Honored Contributor

I love my roku tv i bought last december.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I have a smart tv, which makes it easy to get on Netflix and Amazon, Netflix is a memebrship and Amazon I pay for prime.

I am sorry but I know nothing about Roku

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.