Respected Contributor

Re: reuseable shopping bags.

Our main Grocery  store gives a five cent credit for each reusable bag. I do not bring any, as reuse all of my store bags for garbage, separating garbage and waste basket liners. I have a paper bag by the back garage door for donations.

I do consistly use my fabric wine totes as wrapping up each bottle in paper is a waste. The clerks love them as saves them time and work.

In some European countries one has to pay 10 Euros per plastic bag. I just returned from France and was offered paper and plastic but carried a small canvas bag in my purse and a tiny nylon shopper. The Germany area charges.

I hope we still have a choice.

Honored Contributor

I'm in the process of making the switch to reusable bags.  It's just trying to get in the habit.

I figured that if I were going to do this, I wanted to get "cute" bags, LOL, so i ordered some different ones from Etsy and in the past 3 weeks have remembered to take them into the grocery store and Target probably 90% of the time.  It's a start.  I keep them in the back of my car in a plastic storage thing so they're not scattered all over.

My only complaint is that they're filling them too full and some of them are too heavy for me to lift.  Last trip in I said "please don't make them too heavy".  When I got to the car, I could barely lift one of them.  So I'll try again next time with my instructions.

I probably bought some of my bags too big, not all.  I didn't want to use the ones that the grocery store sells because you can't wash them.  I bought all sorts of different cotton bags from Etsy, that I'll be able to wash, but I've got to pay better attention when the bagger is filling them up.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I have several brand names, my favorite it Earthwise, on amazon.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Questions for those that use reusable shopping bags at the grocery.

How often do you do a "major" shopping?

Do you stick to a list and know approximately how many bags you will need?  What are the best bag sizes?

How do you handle heavy, wet things like a gallon of milk or family pack of chicken thighs that tend to leak?

Do baggers tend to overload the bags making them heavy?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Valued Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I live in a union state.  All the supermarkets are unionized & still use plastic & brown bags. 

Both plastic and brown bags can be reused.

Valued Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Plastic bags free from our grocery stores.  Our county is about to abolish them and there is a conversation going about them.  The so called ONE USE bag in my case is not one use.  I line my trash cans.  I wrap things I carry so there is no leakage.  I use these multiple times if I can.  I recycle them.  I don't toss them in the street.  Seems overkill is on the rampage.  First straws and now my bags that I use and use and use.  

Me, too.  There is no such thing as a "one use bag" at my house.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

Questions for those that use reusable shopping bags at the grocery.

How often do you do a "major" shopping?

Do you stick to a list and know approximately how many bags you will need?  What are the best bag sizes?

How do you handle heavy, wet things like a gallon of milk or family pack of chicken thighs that tend to leak?

Do baggers tend to overload the bags making them heavy?

@Marp - I do my major shopping once a week.  I kind of guessed at the number of bags I needed to take in first time and took in too many,  I kind of just guess each time at how many I’ll need. As I’d mentioned, I bought some patterned bags on Etsy.  Different sizes.  Smaller is better probably, like the size of a plastic grocery bag.  Some of mine are that size.  Some are bigger. And some are even bigger.  I use the biggest bags for my Target shopping. 

Last week I bought some sort of meat, can’t remember what,  I asked them to put that one in a plastic bag.  But I also put meat in plastic bags that they have by the meat.  So the meat was really double bagged. 

And yes, the baggers in my store fill the bags till they’re full which can be too heavy because most of my bags are a little bigger than plastic bags. I’m still working on remembering to ask them not to fill them so full. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I re-use those thin "disposible" plastic bags.  Sure I have canvas bags and a neat cotton "fold up into a wallet size" one If I KNOW I'm going shopping.  But for spur of the moment, " I'll just pick up something while I'm out" those thin bags Fold up into nothing and fit in a pocket or handbag without taking up any room at all.  I Always have one or two about my person.

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Warrior2022 

Mine are mostly from Land's End and L.L. Bean, like these.

Everyday Lightweight Tote

I like that they can zip shut, so if it's raining or I'm worried about things tipping over in the trunk they will stay secure.  

The bags I use are identical to these, but they are insulated to maintain cold or hot food; I have at least 10 that I have purchased over the years from Sam's Club.  They are indestructible.

Respected Contributor

I have a frozen shoulder so cannot lift heavy things.

I just mention my issue and ask the bagger to please pack lightly. mr henny often helps or does the bagging at the store.

It isn't pleasant to see plastic floating in the waters and all over the beach. the wildlife end up eating and getting trapped in  the plastic trash.  

In the past we shipped plastics to China for "disposal" The Chinese will no longer take it.